AeBS or Belkin Wireless-N Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vis, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Vis macrumors newbie

I'm purchasing a new iMac in the next few weeks or so and was wondering about the wireless options. Frankly, I've read a *lot* of bad press on the Aebs, mostly on Apples own support site. I was therefore looking at the Belkin Wireless-N Wireless Router and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these?

2. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i have a linksys (best wireless company im my opinion) and its awesome.
    Its a linksys n gigabit router and you can hook up a external hard drive to it.

3. McGiord, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have the previous AEBS, the one non Gigabit ethernet.
    I was very happy with it, until I tried to use the AirDisk feature, it's not working properly and many times it doesn't mount the HDD.
    The new one also shows this problem in many forums.

If you have enough money go with Time Capsule instead.

Sadly the AEBS AirDisk issue has not been properly treated by :apple:, so I would tell you to stay away unless you receive better comments in this forum.

If you are also going to use Windows PCs maybe the other brand you mention could be a good option, if the price + its features fit your needs. I have no idea how good or bad they are.

With the :apple: products you may get some good updates in the future, if Steve Jobs has something under his sleeves to add more cool things to the Time Capsule.
    ________
    Fourth-generation Ford Mustang history

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have the g generation AEBS along with a AExpress for Airtunes and an :apple:tv, suffice it to say all my wireless speak well together.

I have hesitated in upgrading the AEBS to the n version, partly b/c I don't think they can be wall-mounted like my spaceship version. I currently have mine on the wall to save desk space - that and it looks cool. I think the new ones are suppose to remain flat to take advantage of all the antennas in it. The other reason is why spend the $$. My :apple:tv streams movies just fine with the g router and only syncing is slowed down, which is really mostly a one time deal.

5. Vis thread starter macrumors newbie

For that matter, can anyone recommend a good WIRED router I can use with both a mac and PC? My old linksys dropped out constantly when using bit torrent, playing games, etc..

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That may actually be the problem of your broadband modem. My cable modem was doing that all the time and I had it replaced by the cable company. They told me it was too old a model and couldn't handle the higher bandwidth they now offered.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree here...

My AEBS (non-gigabit) works well, EXCEPT for the AirDisk features. I would go for the time capsule if you are interested at all in having a shared hard drive on your network.

If this isn't an issue to you (and you are sure it's not going to be an issue), then go with the AEBS. I like being able to use Apple's Airport software to manage the router, without having to use a web based interface.

The printer sharing is nice too. If your printer is compatible, and is NOT an all-in-one scanner (or you don't scan very often), then it is great to be able to share a printer with all of the Mac's on your network - without having to leave a computer on just for printer sharing.

If you do go with the AEBS, I would wait a week or so for Time Capsule to come out and see what happens with the AEBS. We are HOPING (praying?) that they fix the AirDisk issues, which would make the AEBS an even more attractive buy, since you could add the shared hard drive functionality down the road if you don't need it now...

8. ascender macrumors 68000

I've got a Gigabit AEBS and apart from the useless Airdisk functionality, its a great product.