Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I just upgraded my network to an Airport Extreme + Airport Express (ProxySTA mode). I was originally planning to run a 2.4Ghz B/G wifi net using my old Linksys WAP54G wireless access point, and a new 5Gz N only network using the AEBS and Express. I also own an Apple TV. The idea was to segment the wireless so that the older systems (laptops/PCs via USB wireless) would be on the B/G and the Mac stuff would be on the N. Unfortunately, the ATV does not see the 5Ghz N network. If I switch the Airport stuff to 2.4Ghz N only, the ATV sees the network just fine. I currently have the AEBS in the basement connected to my Wireless ISP drop. The ATV is upstairs in a family room and is sitting on a stack of Direct TV boxes.

So the question is ... is there a anything I can do to increase the performance of the 5Ghz radio? I already have the transmit power at 100%.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's possible the Apple TV only support 2.4 GHz bands, so that would explain why it doesn't see the 5 GHz. What you could do is say get one of those 5 GHz ethernet adapters if the Apple TV doesn't support 5 GHz.

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
In general higher frequency signals don't penetrate as well, and also there's stricter power controls in the 5 GHz band (in North America, anyway). I believe they're different per channel, though, so it may be worth playing around selecting different channels manually.

Is the Express able to extended the network into the range of the ATV?

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
macleod199 ...

I did some additional experiments. I placed the ATV on top of the cabinet away from the DTV receivers and I was able to "see" the 5Ghz network, but I could not get the ATV to join it. My assumption was that the signal was not strong enough. The Express is used in my office which is on the other end of the house from the ATV, so it would not help extend the network in a useful way.

I have two more experiments to run:

1. Place the Extreme router higher up in the basement.
2. Select specific channels on the 5Ghz network. (Your suggestion)

I played around with running 5Ghz between my office systems and the Extreme. I put a small USB drive on the Extreme and transfers on 5Ghz were ~3MBs and were 2MBs under 2.4Ghz "N" only. So, playing with things to see if I can get better reception may yield better transfer rates. (I saw no difference when running "wide" channels.)

Thanks for the idea of manually selecting channels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.