AEBS problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by duffer, Feb 23, 2008.

1. duffer macrumors regular

I have two external hard drives connected to my AEBS. I am connected to the AEBS via a wired connection. I lose connection to these drives at least once a day and the only way to reconnect is to restart the AEBS. I am aware of issues with wireless connections, but why would this happen with a wired connection? I am about to throw this thing out of the window. Very frustrating. I have not lost connection to the internet, just the drives connected to AEBS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mac OS 10.5.2

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Do you have power applied to the drives? What happens when you only have 1 drive connected. Does it drop then?

3. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

No change.

Power is applied. The drives still drop if only one is connected. When this happens, the AEBS is still in Finder, but when I click on it, it tries to connect (because I receive the Little Snitch dialog asking if it is ok), but it doesn't connect successfully. Very strange. Could it be I configured something incorrectly. Even though the drives aren't connecting, they still show up under disks in the airport utility.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There are a lot of external hard drives that power down automatically.

Designed for windows. Go figure.

Turn the external HD off then back on.

5. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think the drives are powering down. I did not have this problem until I plugged them into the AEBS. When plugged directly to the Mac, I never had this problem.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have the same problem. I think it has something to do with the AEBS and how it handles the USB port because I lose my printer as well as my hard drives occasionally.

7. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

That's not good to hear. I bought the AEBS so I could place everything out of sight. How do you rectify the situation when it occurs? I have to restart the AEBS several times before the drives connect successfully. It appears I will have to do this until Apple decides to fix this, if ever. Another overpriced, overhyped product from Apple it seems. Truly disappointing.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I reboot my AEBS. I have heard that people with non-gigabit AEBS's have better luck with the older rev of the firmware. I hope Apple fix this soon, its really beginning to bother me.

9. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

With any luck Apple will update the firmware soon and we will be all good. Good luck until then. Happy rebooting. Thanks for the help.

10. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I’m not in front of my Mac, but isn’t a setting in system preferences about power down the drive or it might be in airport utility. I just can’t remember where I came across it..

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

sys prefs->energy saver->sleep tab

only affects drives connected directly to the Mac.

12. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I wasn't paying attention before but this is happening everytime I wake the computer up from sleep mode.

13. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

I tried this and have not had the drives lose connectivity since. I don't know if this is why, but it is the only change I have made.

14. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

Losing connection again!!

Unfortunately I have started to lose connectivity to the drives again. Is there any indication the drives are powering down? This never happened when the drives were connected directly to the Mac. Looks like the drives will be moved back upstairs until Apple resolves this issue, if it is indeed Apple's firmware causing the issue.

15. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

Downgrade to 7.1.1

I just read a few threads on different forums that indicate downgrading to firmware 7.1.1 will resolve the issue. Apple has removed this from their site. Does anyone know where I can find this?

16. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

17. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Just read this thread. Welcome to my hell. I, too, spent extra on the AEBS for the AirDisk functionality that just doesn't work. If you have the gigabit ethernet AEBS then unfortunately you're stuck with 7.2 at the earliest and will have to wait for an updated fix... so do I.

Yes, it's annoying and I'm really disappointed in Apple for this... I've been waiting for a fix since October.

18. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

As I said earlier in the thread....

Truly disappointing.

Was the last update in October? I purchased mine on Feb. 13th and could not imagine waiting that long for an update for something that is supposed to "just work". Apple updated the Airport Utility yesterday, so hopefully they will update the firmware soon.

19. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

There was an Airport Utility update including some updates for AirDisk... I think it was just this Tuesday... haven't really tested to see if it fixes anything yet though.