AEBS slow Wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MSFT, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MSFT macrumors member

I noticed today while setting up a new FreeNAS box that my wireless data rate might be slower than designed.

I did an initial Time Machine back up to the NAS box which is connected via ethernet to my AEBS.

Over WiFi, MBP right next to the AEBS (5th gen I think, the latest "flat" one, N-speed) and it was only pushing data up at 6MB/sec (according to iStat Pro). When I plugged in the ethernet cable and shut off WiFi, it jumped to 28MB/sec.

Is this a reasonable speed over wireless or should I be expecting more? How can I improve it?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@MSFT Does the issue occur with just the one MacBook Pro or with all clients? Option-Click on the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar and report back with your transmit rate. 6 MB/s is just under 54 Mbps which is wireless G speeds. I would do a full factory reset by unplugging the AirPort from power, inserting a paper clip into the reset hole, and reinserting the power cord and continuing to hold the paper clip until the front light flashes rapidly before releasing. Then, manually reconfigure the AirPort with all of your settings but leave the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks under one name and leave the channels on automatic. This will not wipe out any data on the internal Time Capsule drive. Report back with the results!

3. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

@Altemose Thanks for your reply. I did a factory reset of the route and re-set it up. Unfortunately, now the fastest it is backing up to TM is 800 KB/s with an average of 200 KB/s! Any thoughts?

4. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

Oops. I just put it back on the shelf it normally is on and it jumped up to 15MB/s with an average of 8MB/s. So an improvement, but how are those speeds?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

6. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

Could it be an interference thing? The AEBS is on a table with an LCD TV, speakers (off); Roku, desktop computer, cable box, wired printer (all on); and within 5 feet of my home central AC unit.

Right in front of the AEBS, I am getting the speeds above. But when I walk down the hall, it drops off dramatically.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Definitely! Run Wireless Diagnostics by option clicking in the menu bar and follow the wizard to find the best channels and manually select them in AirPort Utility.