AEBS/TC: Looking for feedback how to configure my network.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Squonk, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I would like some input from y’all with suggestions on how to best setup my home network. I know that I want to deploy one of the dual band apple routers (AEBS or TC), but with my setup, I’m not sure how to do this exactly. I had a setup working for me with the AEBS in the office but due to some problems with the cable signal, I cannot keep my main base station there. In a nut shell, the cable run is bad (I think).

Here is the equipment that I have:
    Office: A) MacPro 2008 (without the Airport card), B) 2 USB Printers (laser and color photo printer)
    Home Theater: PS3
    Wireless devices: A) Hp Laptop with N card, B) iPhone and iPhone 3G, C) future MB/MBP coming soon

Here is the networking gear at present:
    Kitchen: A) Airport Extreme Base Station B/G/N - FA073LL/A, B) Comcast internet & phone thingie
    Office: A) Airport Express first gen (B/G only) with Ethernet to MacPro and one printer on line at a time
    Home Theater: Nothing going on right now. The Airport Express used to be here with Ethernet to the PS3 and airtunes to the stereo until I stole it to get the Mac Pro back online

I’ve been wanting to move to a dual band router to allow any N devices to get full throttle internet and I’m thinking now is the time.

Here is what I was thinking of doing:
    1) New AEBS in the kitchen
    – overkill, but gives me dual band so N devices get full speed.
    2) New AirPort Express for Office
    – N speed for the MacPro and both printers back online
    3) Old Airport Express Home Theater
    - PS3 & airtunes
    4) Sell old AEBS

I could turn on the wireless on the PS3, not sure which best wireless or Ethernet to Airport Express. I only download system updates and add-on content for Rock Band.

I also do not have a backup solution in the mix, so maybe a TC instead of the AEBS? I could do TimeMachine to an extra 500GB drive inside the Mac Pro as I just put in a faster 1TB drive when I installed Snow Leopard.

Do you have any better ideas?

I appreciate your feedback – Thank you!

2. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

Adding to my original post...

I read this morning that NetFlix will be coming to the PS3 next month. This is something that I will be using. That being said, what is the best option for the home theater portion? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PS3 (80GB model) has 802.11b/g only, right?

Will "g" speeds adequate for movie streaming? (using either my 1st gen Airport Express or the built in wireless on the Sony) Or should I get a new AirportExpress N for the home theater?

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Run cable to your office
    2) AEBS via ethernet to your MacPro (wired faster than any wireless connection)
    3) 2 printers behind a powered USB splitter to AEBS USB port (can be shared with any networked device)
    4) AirPort Express to extend network if you need
    5) Use the internal MacPro bays for God's sake...that's what they are there for.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

That is correct.