AEBS & TC: Why only 1 USB port?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So isn't a major benefit of AEBS and TC the fact that you can turn a wired printer into a wireless one using the USB port?

Isn't another major benefit of AEBS and TC the fact that you can hook them up to an external hard drive that can wirelessly be accessed from any computer on the network?

So then WHY is there only 1 USB port on these devices? I just don't get it.

2. simsaladimbamba

Probably because most other also only have one USB port?
    And using the USB port for any HDD will only give you 10 MB/s read/write speeds, even via Gigabit Ethernet, thus an NAS would be much better.
    And if one needs more than one USB port, one can always use any USB hub available.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

Heh, what? Where did you hear this? It's not even a little bit true...

4. simsaladimbamba

I tested it on my AEBS (2009 edition) with several HDDs (self-powered and bus-powered) and several connections, then researched it or asked here, and got several answers pointing that way.
    It may, that 2010 AEBS units are different though.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

I have the 4th generation AEBS, which came out late 2009. But even if you're talking about the 3d generation, there shouldn't be any difference in transfer speeds to a connected USB drive.

The only ones I see talking about those transfer speeds seem to be rocking the 2.4 GHz band with less than perfect wifi connection. I get 10-15 on 2.4 GHz, 14-18 on 5 GHz and 20-25 on a wired connection. Connected to the computer I think it was 35-40 MB/s, so there is clearly some sort of limitation in play though.

6. simsaladimbamba

I have the early 2009 AEBS, it seems it has changed since then.

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Most other what? regardless, that's a terrible reason. Most other cell phones had buttons and no touch screens before the iPhone...

Per the conversation above, it seems you are a little wrong, although it is still slower than a direct connection. I'd rather not have to purchase something separate like a NAS when I could just use my AEBS to do the same. Although, I definitely wish Apple could speed this up in some way

Yes, but not the most elegent solution. I would like have the least amount of wires and adapters as possible.

Since the USB serves two unique functions, with the general intention of these functions to be in use constantly (if you need to plug in your printer every time you want to print something what's the point?) then why can't there be 2 USB's hooked up? I don't think space is an issue...

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Could it have something to do with power consumption maybe?

But why couldn't space be an issue... Looking at the back, there seems to be enough space to push in a second USB port, but maybe the interior wouldn't allow it? I don't know, never looked inside of one...

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well if it's a power consumption issue wouldn't that issue still exist when you use a USB hub?

Yeah space is a potential issue, but I just don't see that being it. They have gone through many generation upgrades and if Apple had wanted to put 2 USB ports they could have now. It seems Apple doesn't think we need two ports... It's kinda lame

10. hafr macrumors 68030

If you use a USB hub, you would probably have to use either a powered hub or external drives with their own power source.

Say there are no physical reasons to why a second USB port isn't there. The answer to why could be as easy as a market research has showed that the demand for a second port is too small to justify it.

I think the best thing to do when encountering things like these is to tell Apple about your thoughts. If enough people think like you and tell Apple, change probably will come. Not that it has with iTunes, but hey ;)

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

USB speed is not great, I use it for archiving purposes where I don't fell any lag. I have a four port hub attached to the TC with two spare.

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'd rather they put in the 4th LAN port (like every other wifi router) than a 2nd USB port.

I actually have 2 printers and a USB HDD plugged into my 7 port hub. No issues. Actually, I do have an issue with using a 7-port powered hub (Macally TriHub) and the AEBS. Every time the power goes out, the AEBS can't fully re-boot. The solution is to unplug the USB hub from the AEBS until the re-boot can go through. Then you re-plug the hub. As you can imagine, this is a pain in the groin.

The solution is to unpower the hub ... luckily, I don't have any USB devices that need USB power.

I'm guessing it's an issue with the TriHub only, as I've never read anything about this, anywhere.