AEBS & Time Machine Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ejewels52, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ejewels52 macrumors member

Hello,

I've just bought the new Airport Extreme Base Station last night. I set up everything just fine. I've set up an external HD to the USB port and got it to work fine so far in terms of file sharing and reading and writing. I also have a dedicated Time Machine external HD attached to my MBP USB drive.

Does Time Machine backup shared airport drives? This is a deal breaker for me. When I go into time machine after my latest backup, the shared airport drive doesn't show up :(.

Am I missing something? Can time machine back up anything connected to the AEBS?

Thanks in advance...

bump, anyone? Can Time machine back up airport disks?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Sorry, you are out of luck, it won't backup network drives.

3. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

:confused:

Is there a workaround? My main external HD needs to be shared via AEBS, but I will need to back it up as it is my main drive for all media. Here is what I'm ultimately asking for:

AEBS > USB Hub [Time Machine HD, Main External HD, Printer]

Then, the Time Machine HD would back up my MBP as well as the Main External HD.

I'm sure this has been run into before? Thanks in advance...

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can do it manually. Or you can use a third party program to set up a scheduled backup of the drive (though I'm unsure how/if it would work for drives connected to the AEBS), but it cannot be done via Time Machine. Those are the only workarounds...

5. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

man, that kind of sux. Guess I'll just have to plug the shared drive into my MBP everytime i wanna back it up. I wonder why apple does this?