AEBS vs Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by golby, Jun 1, 2008.

1. golby macrumors newbie

Right now I have a Dlink DIR-655 Pre-N router and when it works its great, but there are just too many times when it doesn't. I dont know if its a compatibility issue or if its just too much wireless chatter going on around me (I live in NYC). I've been thinking about getting an airport extreme basestation mostly because it allows me to use the 5ghz band so I get those additional channels that aren't used. My question is, should I get the AEBS or the Time Capsule so I can have backups as well. I would only go with the 500gb as the price for the 1tb is ridiculous especially with it not having a server grade drive in it. But at the same time I don't know if I want that combo (wireless router/hd). I've thought about getting a OWC Mercury Enclosure and the 640gb WD internal drive. I know this is more money in the end, but TC kind of worries me. Any thoughts? Also what do you think of the refurb AEBS on the apple store? Thanks ahead of time.

2. anubis26 macrumors member

This decision, at least in my opinion, boils down to whether or not you will be using Time Machine for your backups. If you will, then Time Capsule would be better as it has better support for TM, but the hard drive is non-replaceable and the deskstar drives have historically had high failure rates. On the other hand, the AEBS has iffy support for time machine to the point where no one knows if it works because its a 'feature' or just a developer error (noting apple's changing specs on it). But you would have a the hard drive of your choice and good upgrade options for the future.

Personally, I would go with the Airport Extreme base station, but if you want to go with the Time Capsule I don't see a reason for not getting the refurb.