AEBS w/ USB HDD for use with Time Machine....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yOGi420™, Mar 26, 2009.

1. yOGi420™ macrumors member

yOGi420™

I'm trying to set up my AEBS to host my time machine drive but i can't figure out how to do it. I can't even see the drive connected. Can someone help me with this or link me to a thread already containing this info, I can't seem to find the right information.

Thanks in advance.

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

1. plug HDD into MAC.
    2. Format HDD to OSX extended (applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
    3. Unplug HDD from MAC, then plug into AEBS.
    4. Restart AEBS.
    5. Open finder (AEBS disk should show up in the left column)
    6. Click on AEBS disk, then click connect. (see screen shot)
    7. Open TimeMachine
    8. I think you got it from here.

Attached Files:

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

And hopefully the E in your AEBS stand for Extreme, and not Express

4. yOGi420™ thread starter macrumors member

yOGi420™

I did all that right before posting then I found out that my new hdd had malfunctioned and was not even showing up when i plugged it directly into my comp. I took it back to the store thursday evening after work and had thenm exchange it. Took it home and tried again and it worked perfectly!!! Its always something:D Thanks for the walk through anyways I'm sure it will be helpful to other members because it is exactly what you have to do to set things up right. I thought that I had been doing something wrong but it was the dang drive not me or my mac, YAY!!!

5. 929406 macrumors regular

would someone be kind enough to run through how to set up a network printer on the AEBS? I have the hard disk function sorted but now its the printer

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Open settings
    Click printers
    Click add
    Click bonjour printer
    Pick your printer from list. (if you have the printer setup to print USB delete it, then re-add bonjour printer)

7. yOGi420™ thread starter macrumors member

yOGi420™

I got my time machine working!! It was a drive problem not my AEBS!!! Yay!!!!

8. edmondo69 macrumors newbie

i tried what you suggested but my disk doesn't show up like yours does. have you installed the AirDisk utility ? and if so, where can i get it from ?

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I do have "Air Disk" but its called "remote install Mac OS X" not air disk. This is not your problem though. You have to install "Airport Utility", or "Airport Admin Utility". You should have these installed. If you don't then try running the Software Update.

Click on the apple in the top left side of the status bar, on top of your screen, then click "software update" Install all updates.

Does your disk show up on the home screen when you plug directly into your MAC?

If it does, then you should format the disk as stated above.

What hard drive are you using?