AEBS: What can it do for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miggitymac, Feb 3, 2009.

1. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

So I have some gift cards and credit at Best Buy and was thinking of stuff I could use it on. The only thing I could think of was the AEBS as I pretty much have everything else that I want.

But I don't know if it will even be of use to me...I have a 54 mbps 2wire modem/wireless router combo from my ISP (Telus..Canadian ISP). I'm pretty sure that I can't use the AEBS on its own, but I'll have to hook it up to the 2wire...something about the 2wire interpreting the signal from Telus (as the person from Telus told me).

I also have a wireless N capable MBP.

My question is, will I even get true wireless N speeds with an AEBS, even if it's connected to a wireless modem/router that maxes out at 54 mbps?

What I'm aiming for is setting up a dual-band signal...one on wireless N, and one for wireless G...I'll connect my laptop to the N, and my desktop (also wireless) to the G. Due to the layout of my home, I can't hook up the desktop via ethernet cable.

If I set up my network like this, will I still lag while I'm gaming on my laptop if someone is streaming on my desktop at the same time?

Currently I have no issues with range or signal strength, since I live in a small basement suite. But, faster internet speeds and less lag during gaming (while someone else is streaming on another computer) would be nice.

I apologize if I'm wording my questions in a confusing fashion...I just basically want to know how the AEBS works and how/if it will be a good thing for me to spend my money on.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance.:)

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

N only 5ghz has less interference, thus less latency for gaming.

My AEBS is set for N only 5ghz, connected with ethernet cable to the modem.

3. miggitymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

So if I'm understanding you correctly, even if I don't get wireless N speeds, I'll still get less latency because there's less interference?

Will it be enough of a difference to justify spending $200 on an AEBS, in your opinion?

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I don't have one, and the only reason I was considering one was the USB port for my printer and external HDD, but I recently built a media server so I got that covered. 200$ might not be bad for Apple quality, but I think you could get something for cheaper. Just look here
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=41&name=Wireless-Networking
    But it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. If I wouldn't have a Netgear already I would go for it, because I just like having my products from the same company if possible :p

5. miggitymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

That's true...all I really want to be able to do is set up a dual-band network. I guess there are other routers out there that can do that, not just AEBS.

Is there a way that I can still get wireless-N speeds even though my 2wire will have to be connected to the network? Can I get around this at all?