AED message on iPod classic?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ClassicBean, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

My iPod randomly displays a weird message above the battery icon.

It is a series of letters - AED.

This seems to happen when my iPod randomly gets disconnected from the computer without being unmounted.

I should mention that this seems to be the fault of the iPod docks. If you touch the cable in the back, it thinks it's resetting. I have two docks - both new - and both exhibiting this problem.

Anyway, anybody know what AED means? Does this have something to do with the unit being randomly disconnected? Or is my iPod broken?

It's a brand new 80GB iPod classic.

2. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me again. This seems to now happen when the computer wakes from sleep. Attached is a shot of the message:

Attached Files:

3. palmerized macrumors regular

Dear Classic Bean,
    I hope this message finds you well.

I have searched high. I have searched low. I can't find the answer to your question. I think the only person that really knows is Steven Jobs.

I will forward your issue to him, and CC "Woz". I'm hoping to have an answer for you shortly.

Kindest Regards. All the best. Yours. Cheers.
    Caroline.

4. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Emm I havent yet used a classic but doesn't it display the name of the device, f.ex "ClassicBean's iPod". Call me stupid but that might be it, of course I doubt your iPod is named aed.
    -Victor

5. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey Victor,

Thanks for your message. Not sure what it's supposed to display, but I assure you my iPod is not called aed. It sometimes says charged but who even knows anymore? Perhaps the employees at the authorized apple retailer at Multi-Plaza in Escazu, or the iPod-wearing teenagers working at the AutoMarcado might have an idea. Pura Vida is what I say.

6. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Costarican too??? ajaja. It seems like something software related, if you can restore it that might solve the problem although you will loose everything but if the music is in your computer then no big deal, just re-sync and you'll be back on. Hope this helped.

-Victor

7. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah, I'm not Costa Rican. Although I spend so much time there I might as well get a subscription to The Tico Times.

Anyway, I did a few restores and it didn't help. I am going to take it back and invest in a lens for my camera as recommended by palmerized. He knows pretty much everything.

8. palmerized macrumors regular

Bean, you are correct, I do know pretty much everything.

You'll love the lens. Chicks dig a massive lens.

Ah... Costa Rica... so many memories.

9. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

LOL Costa Rica..ahh I love being "tico", just gotta love this "lawless" country.

Anyways, shame your iPod was faulty then again if the lens is a good purchase, then do it. Regards
    -Victor

10. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

same thing happens to me on my 3g video nano! Doesn't seem to affect anything, all is well when I unplug and plug back in. What the heck does "AED" mean anyway. 'tis strange indeed.

11. GoaTrancer macrumors newbie

Just got this on my iPod nano 8GB.
    my new Mac Pro woke up from sleep with the ipod connected and told me that the device had been removed, and then that battery "AED" thing came up. Gonna unplug it and replug it and hope for the best..
    Got another device removal message.. Ipod came on normally... ok it recognized it when i plugged it back in.
    still its bothersome that that happend on waking from sleep. I guess I should count myself lucky though since I havent had any of the other sleep problems that have been reported (knock on wood).

12. bamaworks macrumors 6502

LOL Found this thread after my 3rd Gen Nano 4GB got this message. I found out it's just an anomaly that occurs randomly and has no bearing on the iPod's functionality.

Suhweet!