Aerial Photos of Recent Work at Apple's North Carolina Data Center

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Ahhh the hippy comes out to only show why generalizations aren;t always wrong.
Maybe because things like Helicopters and planes would find that in a second. Not very secluded and it's the east coast, pretty much Police states out there.

Why make drug references that are't even funny on Macrumors? how stoned are you? Go hit the pipe some more and keep doing so much with your life
Wow.
Why all the hate ?
Ohhhhhh yeah, I'm on macrumors.
Go ahead. Be as offensive as you want

paintersforms

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
What? Why would tax payers pay for any of this?
I'm going to assume you aren't being sarcastic, so...

Local governments often subsidize projects like this to bring jobs to their area, so it's possible Apple built the facility there because that's where they got the sweetest deal. Kind of like how pro sports teams extort new stadiums out of their cities.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Looks like a great place to bunker down if there is ever an outbreak of living corpses. The solar farm will keep the juice flowing to power that electric fence and there is plenty of ground to grow crops and keep livestock.

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Does anyone know the details here? Mostly, are taxpayers funding part or all of the solar arrays? Sorry to be so cynical, but given the state of our deficit and recent history of our govt, it would be awful if cash-flush Apple was one more pig at the public trough.

Yep, I'm new to the comments but a long time reader. I was also a fanatic long before it was cool. First Mac was a Lisa, if that tells you anything.

BTW, clouds and solar arrays don't mix.
Seems like your comments are appreciable, don't hesitate to post more in future, lend that hesitation to some of the trolls who just won't shut up! :D

also:

Article:
Nobody knows exactly what an Apple tactical data center is supposed to be, but according to Rackspace Chief Technology Officer John Engates, who has spent his fair share of time in windowless buildings racked with servers, it may be a neutral spot where Apple partners can come and plug their gear into Apple’s grid without getting any exposure to the fantastic secrets housed in the larger 500,000-square-foot facility.
I might be hugely ignorant, but apart from getting a glance at what kind of rack servers (most likely not Xserves... /ah snap! :p:( (anyone want them back like me? Jesus...)) and all that jazz they are using, what else would you cramp into a server farm that's of any significance?
(Oh apart from security measures maybe, that's always an interesting tidbit for a news story. :))

Looks like a great place to bunker down if there is ever an outbreak of living corpses. The solar farm will keep the juice flowing to power that electric fence and there is plenty of ground to grow crops and keep livestock.
Electrical fence?
Pfft... THESE guys know how to build fences:

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2011
Uh. How do you arrive at me being old or rich? You assume, which as we known, makes an ass out of you and me.
I just told you in my quote. Unless you bought your Mac when you were 3 years old or something, that makes you old. That's not a bad thing, just a fact you stated.

And Macs back then were very expensive. I have older family members who owned Macs in the 80's and they told me, they were really expensive. Even for them who were relatively well off, was a little struggle to purchase those Macs.

So my point stands. I didn't assume. I just reposted the facts you told everyone about yourself. Nothing bad though. I'm glad you helped the Apple of old by purchasing Macs back then.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Watch Samsung have one of these in 6 months.
Lol they probably already do.

A data center isn't some kind of innovation, and this one is pretty tiny compared to ones that Microsoft, Google and IBM run ;)

Not only is it run by microsoft, its data density is higher, and its also 200,000 SQFT larger ;)

Doggonit

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I just told you in my quote. Unless you bought your Mac when you were 3 years old or something, that makes you old. That's not a bad thing, just a fact you stated.

And Macs back then were very expensive. I have older family members who owned Macs in the 80's and they told me, they were really expensive. Even for them who were relatively well off, was a little struggle to purchase those Macs.

So my point stands. I didn't assume. I just reposted the facts you told everyone about yourself. Nothing bad though. I'm glad you helped the Apple of old by purchasing Macs back then.
Fair enough. But I did say we. So yes, it wasn't I, but my family. I was an infant at the time. Admittedly that precluded me from using it, I'm just saying, Apple is in the family, though I haven't bought anything from them personally up until now.

Was it expensive at the time? Yeah, but if you wish to revisit history a little, the original 128k Macintosh that was launched in 1984 was no longer the latest model by 1986. In fact, my father bought this 1984 original second-hand in 1986. Sure, he spent a decent amount of money on it, but it wasn't quite so prohibitively priced as a new one two years earlier.

So, I am not old, nor would I say we were particularly well off, though we were admittedly comfortable in comparison to a large part of the world's population. But that applies to essentially everyone in this thread.

sjp5317

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Denham Springs, LA
Type of Servers

<nerd thoughts>
I may be just a huge nerd, but I want to know what type of Servers they are using. Maybe they are like Google and build/built their own. They must be Linux or Unix servers right? OR maybe they quit selling Xserves to the public so that they would have enough for this data center!!
</nerd thoughts>