Aeropress Coffee maker?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shecky, Oct 17, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

anyone use an Aeropress for their coffee? i have been hearing about it for a few months now and its looking pretty good. i drink Americano-style coffee which i now make with a Bigaletti stovetop espresso maker but i like what i am hearing about the Aeropress.

a demo video with Mark from BoingBoing for those who have not seen one before.

2. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I started using a Bodum 8 cup french coffee press (Amazon $29) several months ago and the taste is far superior to drip coffee. You pour hot water over course grinds and let it sit for 4-5 minutes and then press the plunger/filter down and then pour out the coffee. More muddy than drip, but much richer tasting. The website you referenced says that the aeropress on the other hand uses pressure somehow and takes less than a minute to extract the coffee brew. It also doesn't have a permanent filter, which would bother me. But no matter what, it will almost certainly make better tasting coffee than any drip machine. Enjoy.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I've had mine for 2 years now.

LOVE it. Love it.

Easy to clean, makes really awesome coffee. Even makes my parent's $5/5lb coffee taste half decent. I'm a Second Cup man myself.

The only thing is you have to re-order the filters. I got mine from eureca.ca. I like their style because they include shipping and tax in the price.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Looks awesome.
    The only issue I would have, and keep in mind I regularly break my coffee mugs and glasses, is that I would probably be pushing down, the mug would slip out, shoot across the room along with half of the coffee and bust and make a big mess. Just didn't look as stable as my french press.
    I would like to try some of the coffee it makes though.