Aerospace Electronics Schools

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Texas04, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Hello everyone!
    So it is almost that time when I should be picking schools for my freshman year of college, and I am going back and fourth between schools and majors.

I have a very strong interest in Aerospace, NASA, and flying in general. Not so much flying for an airline non-stop but just casually and or getting some real science work done up in space. I love computers, electronics, and have been known to hack and crack open a few things for fun such as radios, (FCC Dont read this... FM transmitters) and other things..

But here is my dilemma, I looked at the Aerospace Electronics field and I have pretty strong feelings for it, and I have found that Embry Riddle Aeronautical University is one of the top ranked schools and I was thinking of applying there until I went to the college board and found that my grades and classes were in the upper minority of those who get accepted. I am in the top 3% of my class, have a solid GPA, and I am taking four years of math and science in HS plus a lot more electives and classes than are required for the school. Now I love this school from how it looks and what reviewers have said about it, plus the fact that it has its own airfield.. but, I am worried that it may not be challenging enough for me...

So I started looking around at Electronic related majors and top schools. Of course MIT, CIT, Purdue, all came up and I am not 100% sure I could get into those schools, but if I did, I am not sure I would be happy because their focus would not be on aviation or aeronautics like Embry Riddle, but their name could get me a lot more job offers outside of school.

But, even though Embry Riddle is not as "known" they are ranked number one in aerospace for the nation... so hence my dilema... which school would I go with...

If the above was to long and you did not read:
    Have you had any experience with the Aerospace Electronics field or Electrical Engineering fields? What were the pro's and con's of those fields? Also, is there anyone here who goes to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

What exactly is Aerospace Electronics? Is it like aerospace engineering crossed with leectrical engineering?

If so then:
    From what I've learnt speaking to various people, including a Dean, studying one of those new degrees that combines 2 fields of study together (Like Mechatronics which combines electrical and mechanical engineering or Aerospace Electronics) You only get the equivalent of up to a 3rd year qualification in both the separate fields. So studying a core degree like pure electrical/electronic engineering might not allow you to be qualified in a broad variety of things but it does provide for a sound background and preparation for a job.

BTW: I'm 17 and want to go off and study Aeronautical Engineering after school.

3. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I was, but sadly its only offered elsewhere. I was looking at studying @ MIT but the application process for overseas students is hectic and the extra costs (like food and such) are just too immense and I'd need a scholarship of sorts which is also kinda sketchy.

So instead I'm going to apply for aeronautical engineering (which isn't very different actually looking at teh courses) and eventually I want to go work @ NASA. I heard that they actually offered jobs to graduates from Wits (The university I want to apply at).

I'm in final year of high school next year (academic year runs from late jan. to early dec.)

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This might just be rehashing what jasonbot already mentioned, but I am currently enrolled in Aeronautical Engineering. Not quite it, but I know quite a few people in my uni who are doing Aerospace Engineering (along with the mechatronics stream). There might be some similarity to your AS Electronics. Down here in the down under, our space industry is mostly non-existent, so much so that our Aerospace degree is primarily focussed on electronics.

Pro's and Con's. Well, from what i've been hearing, it is mainly electronics and signals work (a lot of maths, and assembly programming from what I've heard), which might be something you're likely to be interested in.

Which uni should you apply to? The most important criteria would to maximise your chances of getting a job right from graduation. Go talk to some people at those uni's, and see if they know people in the right places, or if the uni has a good record with graduates going to NASA.

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You think thsi matters? Surely if you're good you're good and no. of NASA workers shouldnt really matter?

Thanks for the insight!

7. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Actually it does...

The way NASA works is that there are government employees who don't get paid very much but who get the benefits of being a "Govvy" and don't have to dress up that much and get all those cool discounts.. *cough* APPLE *cough* and there are contracted workers. There are also contracted employees who are contracted by the contractor who is contracted by NASA. They usually get paid a little bit more but some of the benefits for retirement are not always as great and the government has a little bit more security. The sooner you can get into the loop especially at NASA the better.

There are Co-op programs for college students where NASA will hire you while you are in school and pay for your school, if you work for them when you get out. For me this is not a problem since I plan to work there when I get out of school. A few schools around the US have closes ties with NASA and their Co-Op program.

I did a internship last summer with NASA and their contractor SSAI, and it was really a great expierence.

Electronics and Signals work eh?? That sounds great!!

As far as Embry Riddle goes, it has close ties with Kennedy Space Center and the NASA Co-Op program, but again it goes in a loop because if I was to apply to MIT, well that name just "sounds" better... Especially if I ever for some reason go work for a contractor and get paid 10 times more then a government job. Even though I still would LOVE a government job.

8. jellz macrumors regular

what the f is CIT? i think you mean Caltech? and you shouldn't be 100% you'll get those..in fact there shouldn't be any certainty at all. make it 0%.

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well, if you need a job, come to Connecticut. There are zillions of aerospace engineering companies here.

10. lise22 macrumors newbie

Northrop Grumman offers several aerospace internship programs for college students who have completed their first year. Full information is available on their aerospace engineering jobs internship page.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While not entirely related to this thread, 4 weeks ago, I listened to a presentation given by one of the guys who's actually in charge of building rockets for NASA. There were 2 of these NASA guys at the conference (held by my professor). I don't remember his exact job title, but it was interesting. :eek: He was talking to us about how a manned trip to Mars would work, and how there's little chance of that happening right now because of the radiation doses delivered to the astronauts, the types of radiation that are relevant, and all the factors they need to consider if they plan such a mission. It was very cool, and also related to my research, in a sense.

Then I sat with him at a dinner table, and he told me about how he had been to Canada numerous times, but many of his trips were to some small remote island in the most northern region of Canada. The island is completely covered in ice, uninhabited, and is one of thousands of these islands. He goes there because the harsh conditions are more similar to a space mission than what you can experience in the US. Again, very cool.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Are you looking for mostly engineering or are you looking to take coursework in flight as well?

In general, Purdue has a highly respected engineering program (I'm not sure about aeronautical, but I would assume it's also quite good) and a very good flight department.

ERAU is well respected in the aerospace field, but if you later decide you're more interested in applying your engineering skills to some other field it may not be the best option. Also, ERAU doesn't exactly have its own airport. It just happens to be right next to Daytona Beach International. There are plenty of commercial, cargo, and corporate flights going in and out. That's definitely not a bad thing, though and being able to walk from campus to the airport would definitely be nice!

A third option is to go to school nearly anywhere for engineering and learn to fly at a private flight school at a municipal airport. There are flight schools everywhere, and in the world of flight the reputation of your school does not really matter that much, as the standards for flight instructors are quite high.

If you have any more questions about aviation in the US, feel free to PM me.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am going to Embry Riddle this fall majoring in Aeronautical Science. I am psyched about it. I have also heard many good things about this college. Like 50% of the pilots out there are Embry Riddle graduates is what I have heard. Within the next 5 years there will be a huge demand for pilots due to the baby boom pilots reaching retiring age( I couldn't of hit the window any better). Overall, you will have a pretty good advantage post-college if you go to ERAU as you mentioned it has a reputation for putting out some of the best pilots in the industry. Though MIT, etc is no joke either. Either way good luck.