Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Hi -

Does anyone know if it is possible to encrypt things using AES with the iPhone SDK? I've looked at OpenSSL and the like, but haven't found much of anything in the way of private key encryption using AES. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

-Zach

ploppy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2007
AES is not an asymmetric cipher, so there are no "private" keys. Typically, when someone refers to AES with private keys, they are referring to a hybrid cryptosystem in which the key for AES is itself encrypted using an asymmetric cipher such as RSA or Elgamal.

You're probably going to get it all wrong if you try to implement it now, so please read up on the theory. I suggest Applied Cryptography by Schneier (although it is a bit dated by now).

apiphone

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Hi -

Does anyone know if it is possible to encrypt things using AES with the iPhone SDK? I've looked at OpenSSL and the like, but haven't found much of anything in the way of private key encryption using AES. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

-Zach

Hi, Did you find the solution to encrypt/decrypt core data in an iPhone project.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.