Aesthetic Question (actually like 80% aesthetic, 20% practical)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by leerkeller, Apr 26, 2013.

1. leerkeller macrumors member

I keep going back and forth with my finder options. One thing that I have gotten hung up on is the "Show item info" option. I keep weighing the pros and cons. The pros are pretty obvious in that in provides useful information without needed to open the folder or select get info. The primary con is that checking the option causes the contents of the folder to take up more space. I have quite a few folders I can fit entirely on screen at once when maximized when "Show item info" is unchecked, but when I check it the contents of the folders can no longer be seen all at once. My other minor gripe has to do with compatibility with different file types. The best example is my movie folder, checking "Show item info" causes the movie length to display below the film's icon. I have 178 films in that folder, and based on a quick count I just did 24 of those films have there length displayed, the rest are apparently non-compatible.

One simple solution for me is to selectively use the option in certain folders. That doesn't apply to finder default settings, in which case I have to choose one setting for many folders.

So here is where your responses come into play. I was wondering how you folks feel about the "Show item info" option and how you choose to implement on your personal computer?
    Below (Show Item Info Off)
    [​IMG]
    Below(Show Item Info On)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yikes! Just a personal opinion, and to each his own, but how the heck do you ever find anything with all that stuff on your desktop? Both my Macs just show the HDD icon....:)

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Wow that looks confusing. Not how I do things. I just save stuff to my desktop if I'm going to be using it again later that day. Otherwise I like to keep it as clean as possible.

4. leerkeller thread starter macrumors member

That is not my desktop, that is my movie folder. I posted it as as demonstration of how it can fit entirely on screen with "show item info" off, and vice versa.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D That's a relief....I thought it was your desktop!

6. leerkeller thread starter macrumors member

Not that it is relevant but this is my desktop.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I use Column View, and try to maintain three windows across my two monitors.

That way, when I select a file, I get to see a preview image of it, and various file info; and the files are sorted.

I generally don't need to know that data on every file as I'm scrolling through.