AEx Extending network over LAN from Wifi.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by H2SO4, Jun 16, 2015.

1. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I’ve just seen exactly and I mean exactly what I was trying to accomplish over at ASC. I’m therefore simply going to copy and paste the content;

Good day all. I'll cut to the chase, a lot of sites I go to will not allow you to alter their network infrastructure and I'm after a completely independent way to effect a test regime.

So, can I........

1. Have my iPhone set up as a wireless hotspot. (Now apparently - The AirPort Express can only "extend" the wireless signal that is being provided by another Apple wireless router. It cannot "extend" wireless from a third party product - so I don't know if the iPhone counts as one).

2. Use an Airport Express to extend this network.

3. Use the Airport express to then share this wireless network over it's LAN/WAN port as opposed to wifi.

Can anyone confirm if this works pls?

Thankyou.

Anybody have any input or suggestions?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. A single AirPort Express is only capable of "joining" the iPhone's network. Now, you can use the LAN port on the Express to connect to a device if needed. If you had two AirPort Express's, then you could have one configured to "join" the network, then run an Ethernet cable from the LAN port to the WAN port on the other one and set it up to create a wireless network in DHCP & NAT mode.

3. H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

That’s unfortunate, do you know of a device with which I can do it?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You could either use two Expresses or some sort of a wireless extender potentially. Are you trying to use your iPhone as your only Internet service?

5. H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

The guy on ASC has cracked it. I’m going to follow his lead and do the same for a whole heap less moolah than I originally intended. That new TP-Link device costs less than a used Airport Express!!

It’s here BTW for anybody looking…….

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a neat little device. I do not have experience with them but have heard they work well. Report back with any issues with the new setup.

7. H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Will let you know later tonight or tomorrow……..

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds good!

9. H2SO4, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok cool, so.

Works perfectly.
    Right, the set up on Windows seems to be easier than on a Mac tho. I had it all up and running inside of 10 mins.

There is a router login page, (well actually two depending on which instructions you read). One just goes nowhere and I suspect that depends on my particular network set up, (192.168.0.1). The other on my Mac initially kept going to a ‘this domain is for sale’ page, (http://tplinklogin.net ).

First go here;
    Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 18.12.10.jpg
    Then go here, (and click survey rather than manually entering details);
    Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 18.12.32.jpg

After that. Bob is your mothers brother.
    For the price it has astonishing functionality.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I agree! That is a great device for the price!