AExtreme has internal storage!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by callme, Jul 13, 2011.

1. callme macrumors regular

I noticed something very strange today.

There was an Aperture update available via the Mac App Store, approx 600Mb.

My MacBook had only just been booted up, so there was no chance that the update had loaded in the background on the computer, not even sure if the Mac App Store does that.

Anyway, I clicked on the Update button and the 600MB downloaded in seconds at a very fast rate (50Mb per sec at least), far faster than any other downloads I have ever seen on my devices.
    The same thing happened with my iMac, booted it up, saw the update and downloaded in seconds (I am running Lion on both machines).

The only change I have made recently is the installation of a new Airport Extreme basestation (the latest model).
    The speed increase cannot be due to the device just being faster as I will always be limited to my 20Mbps Cable download speed.
    The download should have taken at least 2 to 3 minutes but it was done in 5-10 seconds.

Could this be due to some level of internal storage in the new AE, that can recognise that downloads are available and them in the background when they are released and then be ready when you need them? I know it was rumored that this would be a new feature but it was never mentioned by Apple when the new AEs were released.

The 600MB Aperture download definatley did NOT download over the internet to both my devices when I clicked on the update, it was far too quick, nearly instant, it must have been downloaded to the AE.

2. dgr macrumors member

Too bad I did read this before grabbing the update. I'm connected with ethernet as my "primary service" on my iMac which hooks up to my Buffalo router. I would have had to disable that to test a direct connection to my AE Gen 5 router. Anyway it took about 2 minutes for me to download, not a few seconds. How would the router know which updates apply to my system?? The AirPort Utility somehow reads the apps on my system and lets the AE know about them??...or is this some type of new feature which requires Lion?

3. callme thread starter macrumors regular

There must be some method between Lion / Mac App Store that keeps a record of current versions of certain software (Apple and Mac App Store purchases) on the Airport Extreme. If it sees an newer version released it is downloaded to the AE. The first instance for me would be Aperture for the following reasons:

- I bought Aperture from the Mac App Store
    - I have a new Airport Extreme
    - I am running Lion GM (legitimately)
    - There was a an update to Aperture available with all the above in place.

I only know that there is no way that the 600MB download I saw on both of my machines was downloaded from the internet at the time I did the update. It was simply too fast for that, in fact impossibly fast for a 20MB connection.

I can see no other way that the 600MB file would download at over 50MB per second and take 5 secs or less to finish the download other than it was locally stored.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Interesting!

This may be farfetched, but maybe your cable ISP had the update cached and sent it to you at faster than your normal download speed limit?

5. callme thread starter macrumors regular

Very unlikely really.
    It has never happened before, plus why do it?
    I think Virgim Media would make sure we knew if that was the case.
    Plus my cable modem is unable to support speeds above 20mb.
    If I want the 30mb or higher service they need to install a new cable modem.

There are no tear downs of the new AE online to check what is in there either!