AF100 and the new Final Cut X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hifidiaries, May 31, 2011.

1. hifidiaries macrumors newbie

Hey guys WOW first post on this forum.
    I own a production house here in VEgas (sugareffect.com)
    And we do a lot of video. We have the new Panasonic AF100, and will be getting final cut X here shortly when it is released.

My question is simple: What is the best method for recording in proRes, with this camera? I know of the aja system, but is there one a system that is less expensive? I just want to get the most out of my camera, without all the conversion going on....
    Thanks for your time.
    CJ
    CJ@sugareffect.com

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Atomos, AJA, and Sound Devices all make recorders that do ProRes. Which one works out best for you depends on your budget and needs.

Lethal

3. hifidiaries thread starter macrumors newbie

Lethal, thanks so much. NEXT question though, if I buy cs5.5 can I import pro res files?? I am going to buy the Ninja...

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you don't have FCP installed you can download a read-only version of the ProRes codec. This will allow you to work w/the footage in PPro but you won't be able to export as ProRes.

Lethal

5. hifidiaries thread starter macrumors newbie

So In your opinion, new PPRO or FCX?

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'd wait until FCPX is actually announced. No one can honestly recommend it at this point.

7. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

It's probably going to be a long while before the new Final Cut can really be used in a post-production environment. I definitely don't want to be testing its compatibility with my hardware (Kona 3 specifically) and workflow when I'm on a deadline delivering for broadcast.

I'm excited for the new version, though. I've been waiting for this for a couple years now. It seems every new update of Final Cut gets flakier and flakier. I'm dealing with constant crashes daily (onlining moderately complex shows), renders are painfully slow and it's constantly running out of memory. Not fun.