Affinity Designer Public Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat235, Jun 11, 2014.

1. flat235, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

flat235 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

We’re proud to announce that our new Mac-exclusive design app has entered public beta and is available for free download over on:

https://affinity.serif.com

Affinity is a brand new range of creative apps designed to harness the power and elegance of Mac OS X. It’s written by a small, experienced team at Serif and this is the first time we’ve shown anything to anyone outside the building.

Serif has been operating for over 25 years and has always been a Windows shop - 4 years ago we decided we could no longer ignore the Mac, so 4 years later, here we are…

We’d love to hear what you guys think about Affinity - so if you have an Intel Mac (Core 2 Duo or >) and are interested in digital design, please download the beta and let us know what you think.

Thanks for reading this,

Andy Somerfield
    Serif Labs (Affinity Development Team).

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Thank you I will test the beta.

3. Chico-bandit macrumors newbie

HAve taken a look at the site you made. Looks like a very windoze UI though?
    bandit

4. flat235 thread starter macrumors newbie

(tldr; Which picture do you expect to see when you run the app?)

Hey,

Thanks for looking at the app bandit.. appreciated.. We've had a lot of people saying it looks like a Windows app - we think people say it because all the panels in the app are integrated into one window - something which might grind against Mac heritage.. I know other apps like Pixelmator follow the separated window approach, but so do we!! Just hit Window -> Separated Mode in the menu and it will change from this:

integrated.jpg

to this:

separated.jpg

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm guessing it is because others have said exactly the same as you. I do wonder if this is a question for the wider community too - should we be defaulting to separated or integrated mode?

Thanks,

Andy

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

How are things going? I love the new mac app!

6. flat235 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man,

Yeah things are going pretty good - we just got mentioned on:

Creative Bloq

... and it's all gone a bit crazy - 3000 people have downloaded our beta in under 2 days... seems like we might be doing something right :)

We're busy answering questions / adding features which folks have raised in our forums (website link in OP). Thanks for showing an interest in our app - it's nice to see that people are interested in new stuff for the Mac - if they weren't, we would be screwed...

Thanks,

AndyS

7. msephton macrumors 6502

msephton

I just wanted to say that this is awesome, even for a v1

Hopefully you are nimble a dev team to keep up rapid development and updates.

As a long time Xara user, I am overjoyed! :)