Affinity Designer Public Beta

flat235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Greetings,

We’re proud to announce that our new Mac-exclusive design app has entered public beta and is available for free download over on:

https://affinity.serif.com

Affinity is a brand new range of creative apps designed to harness the power and elegance of Mac OS X. It’s written by a small, experienced team at Serif and this is the first time we’ve shown anything to anyone outside the building.

Serif has been operating for over 25 years and has always been a Windows shop - 4 years ago we decided we could no longer ignore the Mac, so 4 years later, here we are…

We’d love to hear what you guys think about Affinity - so if you have an Intel Mac (Core 2 Duo or >) and are interested in digital design, please download the beta and let us know what you think.

Thanks for reading this,

Andy Somerfield
Serif Labs (Affinity Development Team).

Last edited:

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Greetings,

We’re proud to announce that our new Mac-exclusive design app has entered public beta and is available for free download over on:

https://affinity.serif.com

Affinity is a brand new range of creative apps designed to harness the power and elegance of Mac OS X. It’s written by a small, experienced team at Serif and this is the first time we’ve shown anything to anyone outside the building.

Serif has been operating for over 25 years and has always been a Windows shop - 4 years ago we decided we could no longer ignore the Mac, so 4 years later, here we are…

We’d love to hear what you guys think about Affinity - so if you have an Intel Mac (Core 2 Duo or >) and are interested in digital design, please download the beta and let us know what you think.

Thanks for reading this,

Andy Somerfield
Serif Labs (Affinity Development Team).
Thank you I will test the beta.

flat235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
(tldr; Which picture do you expect to see when you run the app?)

Hey,

Thanks for looking at the app bandit.. appreciated.. We've had a lot of people saying it looks like a Windows app - we think people say it because all the panels in the app are integrated into one window - something which might grind against Mac heritage.. I know other apps like Pixelmator follow the separated window approach, but so do we!! Just hit Window -> Separated Mode in the menu and it will change from this:

integrated.jpg

to this:

separated.jpg

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm guessing it is because others have said exactly the same as you. I do wonder if this is a question for the wider community too - should we be defaulting to separated or integrated mode?

Thanks,

Andy

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
(tldr; Which picture do you expect to see when you run the app?)

Hey,

Thanks for looking at the app bandit.. appreciated.. We've had a lot of people saying it looks like a Windows app - we think people say it because all the panels in the app are integrated into one window - something which might grind against Mac heritage.. I know other apps like Pixelmator follow the separated window approach, but so do we!! Just hit Window -> Separated Mode in the menu and it will change from this:

View attachment 477236

to this:

View attachment 477237

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm guessing it is because others have said exactly the same as you. I do wonder if this is a question for the wider community too - should we be defaulting to separated or integrated mode?

Thanks,

Andy
How are things going? I love the new mac app!

flat235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Hey man,

Yeah things are going pretty good - we just got mentioned on:

Creative Bloq

... and it's all gone a bit crazy - 3000 people have downloaded our beta in under 2 days... seems like we might be doing something right :)

We're busy answering questions / adding features which folks have raised in our forums (website link in OP). Thanks for showing an interest in our app - it's nice to see that people are interested in new stuff for the Mac - if they weren't, we would be screwed...

Thanks,

AndyS

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Cornwall, UK
I just wanted to say that this is awesome, even for a v1

Hopefully you are nimble a dev team to keep up rapid development and updates.

As a long time Xara user, I am overjoyed! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.