Affinity Photo

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fthree, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Looking into purchasing, anyone have it? Seems like the reviews are too good to be true and typically that means not good....

2. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

I switched to Sketch a few years back and dredged through the sea of bugs that plagued Sketch 1, 2 and even 3. Overall I hoped Bohemian Coding would have wrangled in some of the very annoying bugs that still linger in 3. A while back a friend told me about this vector based app called Affinity Designer that could rival Adobe Illustrator, yet skeptical because every time one of these apps comes out it's the one to dethrone Adobe rival :rolleyes:.

When beta dropped I decided to follow along instead of registering for a beta invite as the hurdles I made with Sketch wore me out to jump on the bandwagon. That friend of mine, who's also an amazing ink/marker artist, decided to make a clean cut over to Affinity Designer to unchain the cost of Creative Cloud. He started using it for UI design as well (he never did the Sketch switch) and never looked back. Moving forward I decided to give it a try and instantly feel in love with Affinity Designer.

A few months back I did catch wind of Affinity Photo and bought it on the Mac App Store since I wasn't going to renew my yearly CC. It's been a nice compliment to Affinity Designer and have been using it quite a bit, it's actually one of the better Adobe competitors I've used, Pixelmator coming in as a close second to Affinity Photo. Keep in mind it's all subjective, and your milage may vary. I do think Illustrator and Photoshop are here to stay on top or share the top for a very long time but I'm 110% behind native applications that take full advantage OpenGL, Apples GCD and CoreFoundation.

You could always try the trial version of Affinity Designer (There isn't a Photo trial out yet) and give it a test drive to see if it lives up to the hype.