Affordability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KazeKrazy, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Hello, and thanks for replies in advanced, but I was wondering the best solution for buying a MacBook Pro. I'm 14, so I don't qualify for the student discount. I need a new model, not used. Is there anything I can do, say any other discounts I may qualify for? Or maybe any suggestions on good paying jobs (I turn 15 here in a couple months). I have a kidney transplant to work on getting, so a job is not my best solution. I'll be working for my dad by painting rooms and such, but it's not nearly going to solve my near $2700 receipt. Suggestions? :D

Thank you,
    Weston

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wait and save. Chances are that you don't need it right now, so waiting until you can actually afford it is what you need to do.

3. TenderBranson macrumors member

This might not be what you want to hear, but if you peruse craigslist, you can find some older gen macbook pro in excellent condition for under $1000. Sure, it won't have that brand-spanking-new feeling, but you can use a mac for the time being at a price you can afford.

4. KazeKrazy, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011

KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

But you don't know how crappy and cheap Dell is :) My Dell has run down on speed majorly. Not to mention I'm sick of Windows.

I'd prefer a newer model because of the intense speed and performance. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

5. JTA60288 macrumors member

I just turned 17 so I totally know where you're coming from. I've always wanted a Mac myself but still have to rely on my PC's because of money. I've had my eye on an i7 17'' with 8GB RAM, but that'll run me up to around $3000 that I don't have. I've been applying for tons of different jobs in my city for months with no luck yet (I'm even trying the Apple store itself as of now). In the mean time, I started making money by offering computer repair and web design service. Things are going great so far and I'm making $500-$1000 a month.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, I do. I have to use Vista at work, on a machine that is the cheapest available. (I'm actually posting from it now.)

In the end, trying to buy something you cannot afford is not the way to deal with your finances. It will only get you into trouble in life - quickly, and there is no easy fix.

7. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Dang I wish I was a web designer! I've tried HTML, It's ok, but when I enter CSS...Bye xD I wish I could do graphics or something for small stores or companies, maybe update their logos. Probably wouldn't pay much and I'm sure that most of the stores around my area are quite fine with their logos...since they are all official stores, not family owned. You'll be at your 17" point in no time with the money you're making! And the problem is, It'd be hard for me to maintain a job as I go to Dialysis every other day for 4 hours. I'd have to find a part time job and that wouldn't get me anywhere in a month...Atleast to my budget.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Take a look at the refurb store. They will be cheaper and not suffer any "second hand" slow downs.

9. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

I see what you're saying, it's just Windows doesn't do what I want it to do. I'm getting the Mac for the amazing processor, great OS, sleek design, the fact that it is more the creative computer, and many more. My Dell just can't handle this 14 year old heart beat. :D:apple::D

10. ender land macrumors 6502a

No, you probably do not.

Especially if you are 14.

11. JTA60288 macrumors member

I taught myself C++ a while back when I started basic programming and when I decided I wanted to do website design, I learned HTML and it only took a week! I do far more repair work than web design and that's where most of the commission comes from. Logos aren't too high in demand right now. I've taken two years of graphic design classes at my high school just in case that sort of thing ever comes in handy. Having to go to dialysis is definately a hardship for you so I would recommend going freelance like I'm doing. Instead of working a part-time job for a company with a pre-scheduled number of hours, you should work for yourself as an entrepreneur and make money that way.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You say you NEED a new model, but why? What are going to do with it that you need the newest available?

13. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

I'm more technicly advancd than most of the 2000 kids that make up my school. I am the go-to person for fixes and help. My own computer needs help...a lot. It's so bad right now that when something freezes, I try to open task manager, but it won't go. And when I actually get it open, it freezes, and then it's stuck until I hold the power button down to shut it off. Does that sound like it's in good enough shape to wait? My dad is all for the fact that I will be needing a better computer. I'm going to be working on the yearbook staff at my school so graphics and writing will be a nessescity. And the optical power of the Mac's will venture me to lands of getting things done and not having to wait for a system crash to fix up. Long story short, I'm going to be doing a lot in school that involves computers...I need a Mac so it can satisfy what my high school cravings are.

14. Blipp macrumors 6502

Why does your first Mac need to be a $2700 model? Not to be rude but you're 14, there is simply no reason you need a laptop with that much horse power. If you want a 2011 then look at a 13" MBP as they start at $1200 and have often gone on sale (not through Apple) for $999. That is a much more reasonable sum of money to save up for and you'll still get a very fast entry level MBP. When you're in your early 20's and can get a proper job then you can start saving for a $2500+ model ;).

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Don't even consider using it as a production machine for the yearbook ... where are you going to get the money for the software you will actually NEED if you want to use your personal machine for that kind of schoolwork?

The design suite alone will cost as much as the machine. Your school will have machines available for that purpose, and trust me (as someone who does photo/video editing and print layout/design), you will be better off using those.

16. KazeKrazy, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011

KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

As stated in the above reply, I'm going to be using this model all through high school and hopefully some of college. And the reason it's a $2700 price tag is that I've done some upgrades and accesories to it...

• 2.2GHz Core i7
    • 500GB (Not 750GB) @7200rpm
    • A 23" HP External Monitor ($215)
    • A DVI adapter ($5)
    • PowerCurl ($15)
    • Laptop Itself ($2375)

I use freeware such as Paint.NET, yet I do shading and things that add better effects. I also have Photoshop Elements which I use. I'm looking into an older copy of Photoshop, say CS3 or older.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What you are considering is a very bad idea ... those tools will not cut it, and there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to buy software for a high school yearbook. They will have machines and software to use.

Bottom line: You don't need a new Mac. If you really have your heart set on following through with your plan, get a used or refurb machine - since you aren't going to run the latest software on it anyway.

18. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Yes, but graphics design will not be the only use of the machine. You don't seem to understand me. I'm 14, and because I'm not an average 14 year old who doesn't know how to use Word, I know about processors, and I do more things. I need the speed for all of high school and as I said, some of college. I'm sick of getting cheap machines that crap out on me a year later. They were not built for my standards, and the Mac is.

19. dslrjunky macrumors regular

people in here dont spend 3k on their mbp's and only have 3.5k for the rest of the month to spend... maybe saving up some more for some unforseen bills lets say medical bills could help you or your family.. need and want are two different things.. take a long hard look at your finances and see where you at right now...

20. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I understand completely.

You have no real use for a new machine, but you want it anyway, because it will be cool to have the latest and greatest.

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

Know thyself. It sounds to me like you are deceiving yourself into believing that you "need" something you "want." I'm not saying you shouldn't get the computer, but I think it would be best to be honest with yourself about why you are after this gadget.

Also, you may want to come at this from another angle. I don't understand the point of getting a Macbook, given your financial constraints and the use you have in store for it.

My recommendation would be to build a computer yourself. It only takes a few minutes once you have everything. It will teach you a lot. And, in the end you will probably have a fabulous machine at a fraction of the cost, depending on how you go about it. You can start now with relatively dated (cheap or even free) parts, and upgrade as you go along. The computer will get better and better over time.

23. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

You really are dead set on the fact that I'm just some kid who wants to have the "like most awesome like computer out thar...like totally"? I'm sorry, but I didn't ask you people to question my needs, I asked for ways to afford my needs. You should suggest ways that I can get the computer I need (and admit I do want this machine, obviously) not tell me I need to go buy another cheap ass Dell because I'm to young. As I said, the discussion is over, I'll just save as the more respectful gentelmen above (JTA60288) has told me what he's doing and has suggested to me a way. Thank you for answering the question JTA, and thank you to the others who did not answer my question.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

... that you are some kind that doesn't really know what you NEED? Yes.

By asking the question, you have realized that there is no practical way to afford what you want, so you asked here. I'm just trying to get you to think about the differences between wants and needs.

25. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

I can word twist as well.
    Quit quoting certain parts of my explanations as you are word twisting them. It's rather annoying. As you notice, when I quote, I do the whole comment as I am responding to the comment itself, not a certain part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.