Affordable All in one for scanning pictures and printing documents for school

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 007bond, Jul 31, 2009.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

hey guys, i was looking for a good aio print/scan/copy that is affordable and is really good at scanning documents. i also dont want something that will make me replace the ink alot and something that doesnt have expensive ink. any suggestions? my dad prefers brother but the toner is like $60-70 at amazon and even more in store

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Toner is expensive because it lasts a ridiculously long time.

3. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

well, i guess your right. my dad does print like 2000 documents a month so i dont think the toner runs out fast. but still color laser all in one is hard to find and costs way too much. do you guys know of any

4. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

im skeptical about hp. are they that good? i know their computers are plastic crap i hope the printers arent the same

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Their printers aren't bad at all. All the printers I have at my house are HP and they have never given me troubles.
    With a printer, plastic is better because it makes the printer lighter and easier to carry ;)

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

HP has ok printers. You can also look at the Canon MP480.

7. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have or have had four HP laser printers (two b&w and two color). I've overall been happy with the HP hardware, but the HP software is horrible. It's like their software is an afterthought, especially the Mac version.

Example: For my M1522nf AIO printer, I use their scanning software and it's acceptable for scanning documents on the flatbed and on the autofeed. It's impossible to define the page size before scanning (there's a slider on the scanner preview but moving doesn't do anything), so everything I scan with the auto feeder is A4 and I have to crop it in Acrobat Pro. The scanning software doesn't retain many settings between sessions, so I have to re-choose scan to document/PDF each time I launch the software (though it does retain the scan settings, e.g., greyscale, color, etc.). Also, when scanning to a file, the HP software limits the file name to 24 characters, so I have to give the file some stupid short name and then rename the file at the Finder. Why HP limits a file name to 24 characters in a Save dialog is beyond me.

In summary: hardware good; software not good.