Affordable backpack with padding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afinch1992, Oct 6, 2012.

1. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Hey everyone, I just got my new 13" and I'm loving it. Now that I have my baby I want to protect it! My old backback was good for protection from side to side, but there is just a piece of rubber protecting the bottom. Anyone have suggestions for an affordable backpack with good protection from the bottom?

This North Face is on the top end of my budget (77.99 from one seller), so I wanted to know if there was anything similar or better for around this price:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-North-Face-Surge-Daypack/dp/B000NB2NWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1349564155&sr=1-1&keywords=north+face+surge

2. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

I have this same backpack, but in red!

It is very nice since I can put my MBP directly into the padded laptop sleeve section without any extra casing. It is padded on the bottom, I have used it like this for about 2.5 years now.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

The Surge is an amazing bag pack, and pretty spacious too! Def. recommend it :apple:

4. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

thanks for the input guys. It seemed to be the perfect bag for my needs, but wanted to see if there were any better options people had run into.

the only other backpack Ive come across that is close to what I need is Brenthaven

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

There are better options, but not in that price range ... I paid $99 for the Surge and its held up pretty darn well for the abuse I've put it thru!!

Now, I'm using the Ogio Renegade RSS and while its better than the Surge , it's also $149. The thing I really like about the Ogio is the suspended laptop compartment.

However, the Surge is excellent, especially at $78!!! Snag one and don't look back :D

6. pikkashoe macrumors regular

I have had both the surge and the ogio renegade.
    I didnt see any reason why the renegade was $50 more, yeah the laptop compartment is suspended, but the surge has a foam bumper at the bottom of it.

Also the renegade I had lasted exactly one week, before the strap started to rip where it meets the bag (and I only had my retina in it). I did like the little cel phone pocket on the strap.

The surge on the other hand is bullet proof, looks brand new, and I air travel 3 to 4 times a week. This thing is indestructible. Fully loaded up with the retina and other things, its the by far the most comfortable back pack I have ever owned. I doubt I will ever need a new bag after this one, ever.

7. afinch1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

afinch1992

exactly the comparison I was hoping for! thank you for your insight. After some ram and an ssd, this bag is next!

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

You must've received a bad renegade.. I abuse the hell out of my bags [ much worse than air travel ] and the renegade has held up just as well as the Surge!

Either way, like I said, both bags are great and there's no reason to spend $149 on the Renegade when the Surge is available for $78 !