Affordable battery extender cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cnev3, May 10, 2013.

1. cnev3 macrumors 6502

I don't have $70-$100 for a Mophie. Amazon and eBay have generic ones for $20, however, the reviews are mixed. Some say it works fine, others say theirs crapped out after a couple uses.

One like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Exte...=UTF8&colid=32ZYR0DFLJBU&coliid=IMEQH7JL5800Q

(i'm pretty sure the reviews on that particular one are fake though)

Or maybe I should just get an external battery? I'd be sacrificing the convenience of having it built into a case, and the style, for one that probably works better, and is cheaper, but inconvenient having to carry a 2nd device in my pocket.

2. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Quality costs money. Buy a Mophie or get a generic recharge battery.

I'd get a Mophie, but only have 5 or so days a month that require a mid-day charge, and usually that's done in the car. Not sure I want the added bulk every day to avoid having to plug in those few days.

Curious what others say, but I'd bet none are as sleek and provide the same charge as the Mophie.

Also, not super excited that none of the battery cases seem to provide a lip to protect against a face-down fall. :rolleyes:

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

I've always believed in spending hundreds of dollars on a phone, then buying the cheapest accessories that plug into it and charge the internal battery. What could it hurt? :rolleyes:

4. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Why would you buy a phone that costs almost $700.00 to replace and put a battery case on it that was cheap. I know that I may get flamed, but why would you do that? Don't ask for trouble, go with a quality case.

5. cnev3 thread starter macrumors 6502

You can reply without the condescending attitude my friend.

Actually, I spent $99 on my iPhone 5 (2 year agreement with special port in number offer w/ Sprint)

iPhone accessories are easily one of the most marked up items in all of retail.

I'm perfectly happy with my $8 otterbox clone case. It's 3 pieces, fits perfectly, feels nice. I'm also perfectly happy with my 99c stereo line in cable from eBay thats identical to a $10 one from Best Buy that's branded for smartphone use. Same with my car charger, and extra ac adapters.

Besides, there are quite a few negative reviews on the new Mophie, and it's barely averaging 3 stars on amazon.

----------

I'm looking for a good value, and I am hoping there's one case that is decent and not $100. I'm buying Apple Care+ and don't have much money left over to spend after that.

----------

Yeah after some research, I am leaning more towards a separate recharge battery, as the reviews indicate they work better than the battery cases.

The Anker Astro Mini battery has great reviews and is $22 shipped. I don't mind carrying it in my pocket along with the iPhone.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I had an iPower up case for my iPhone 4 for a while. Worked well enough.

http://ipowerup.net/store/ipower-case-iphone-5/

7. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Unfortunately in this regard you very frequently do get what you pay for. You can do better in terms of price with the generic recharger type devices, but you do lose some convenience: it's a separate thing to carry and, in most cases, a separate cable to charge the thing.

I spent for a mophie for my iphone 5, and for the 5 or 6 days a month that I know I'm going to be away from my desk all day, its exactly what I need. That having been said, those external chargers seem to work well too, so if you don't mind the inconvenience that's likely an easier route to find value in.

For me - I already carry around enough crap: having it right on my phone is worth the extra cash.