Affordable but workable generic chargers and cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4nortons, Jun 20, 2009.

1. 4nortons macrumors newbie

Just got the new phone and don't really have the scratch for expensive genuine Apple accessories. I have seen a plethora of generic car chargers, docking cables, headphone adapter cables, etc. on Amazon and elsewhere but most of the reviewers seem to indicate that they don't work very well.

If there is such a thing, what are some of the decent brands, and what online stores carry them?

Thanks!

2. entity macrumors regular

My Dynex ones at Best Buy do just fine! I even use my Jawbone AC to USB plug to charge sometimes :D.

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I just bought a car charger / dock and fm tuner from handhelditems.com. I'll post back with my results. Anyone have some experience?

[​IMG]
    Link

**After being lost in downtown Tampa and trying to navigate with my 3GS in my hand, I decided some type of a car dock is needed -- at least till TomTom releases the "real deal."

Also bought a cheap, car charger. This one.

Had a 10% off coupon code too. Find it by simple Googling. It was handheld10 if anyone else wants to use it.

4. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

5. SqB macrumors 6502

We use a pre iPhone Griffin Composite Video cable with a USB-->cigarette lighter in the SUV. Hook it up to the in car video to play music and videos over the built in screen. You get a warning about iPhone compatibility when you first hook it up, but it works perfectly. It's a very sturdy cable that works really well. The only downside so far is that the plug that goes into the iPhone is oversized so it doesn't work with my OtterBox case. Other than that, no problems and it was $20 cheaper than Apple cable.