Affordable Video Capturing Software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tonymusic1, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Tonymusic1 macrumors newbie

I've been using Pinnacle on a PC for video capturing. I've finally been able to move to using my Mac in my office, but I'm trying to find an affordable video capturing program to use with it. I need to be able to save the videos in a MPEG 1 or 2 format. Any suggestions on something that's out there?

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Capturing: iMovie (free with your Mac)
    Export: Compressor 4 (50 bucks)

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

With QuickTime X on the mac you can do a movie recording for free and export it with settings of your choice.

4. Tonymusic1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I capture video directly from DVDs with those programs? We use clips from movies quite often and I have to capture them directly from the DVD.

5. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

With capture from DVD, do you mean ripping from the DVD: copy and recodec the DVD contents?

If yes, use MPEG streamclip. Free and works perfectly (if the DVD isn't copy protected).

6. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Premiere Pro can handle the contents without transcoding. If you have CS5 or CS5.5, you can just start editing. Saves so much time!

7. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Maybe...

I know many people on this board are not fans of FCX but you could go down that road after you play with iMovie. I'm not sure what falls into affordable with you, so of course iMovie cause it's free. Adobe has a special switch deal at the moment, can save big time on Adobe (I'm doing that too).
    It's mainly the pros that dislike FCX, and many of what s disliked is understandable. FCX could be better down the road, I like it, but I'm going with Adobe also, so that says something too.
    IMO for affordable the first should be iMovie, then FCX or Adobes Switch deal.

8. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Can you tell us exactly what you are wanting to do? ;)

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Compressor is required for the MPEG 1 or 2 format right?
    Since iMovie won't export it? (I haven't seen that option in iMovie)

I've never used Compressor; how does it grab the project?

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

There is no direct export from iMovie to Compressor. You'll have to export a QT file to the desktop. This file will then be dropped into Compressor and transcoded to whatever you need.