Afloat for mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Appel, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Appel macrumors member

Ive been trying to install afloat on mavericks but i cant seem to get it to work. Is there an other app or way to have a window always stay on top on mavericks?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It doesn't look like its an actively support application and so the changes in Mavericks is rendering it incompatible.

3. JozBaz macrumors newbie

Afloat for Mavericks

I had it installed when running ML, and it seems to have survived the upgrade: still working in Safari 7.0 + Mavericks

4. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Working fine over here as well, but I want to replace Afloat with something else.
    Afloat is the only reason I have SIMBL installed and I'd love to get rid of it.

I mostly only use it to keep a Youtube video playing in Safari or Chrome on top and some other, less frequent uses.

If anyone knows an alternative to Afloat, that'd be great.

Glassed Silver:mac

5. tooobe macrumors regular

I'm just curious, why wouldn't you want SIMBL installed? (I dont even know what it does, but have Afloat and SIMBL installed as well).

6. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

SIMBL is often considered hacky, tacky and unclean.
    It may lead to problems and crashes and all sorts of nastiness, having software trigger windows to get flagged for "on top" that doesn't actually run within the software itself (via injection) is to be preferred strongly, however I'm afraid this might not be possible, but I thought I'd ask anyways :)

Glassed Silver:mac