AFP lion causing finder issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PirateMonkey, Feb 8, 2012.

1. PirateMonkey macrumors member

I don't know if anyone else has come across this issue but I'm stuck with this as this is possibly one of the most random glitches I have come across in Lion.

I'll explain my situation in basic form...

I bought an Iomega network cloud storage 1TB drive for time machine, I reserved an ip address on my WiFi router for it and setup the device with the setting I wanted, after a restart of the device and my macbook pro I started up time machine to do a full backup of my mac, this took around 2-3 hours so I left it to carry on doing it.

then every 15 mins time machine would backup anything that had been changed this worked fine for exactly 3 hours.

Then I get an error pop up "Time machine cannot use this device as it has the incorrect AFP settings" well thats total rubbish as you just backed up yourself for the last 6 hours or so absolutely fine no issues, so I restart the mac and the network hard drive this then ruined my finder setting in fact they became corrupted so I had to delete the .plist and restart this fixed the issue, so I checked the setting on the network hdd and decided to delete the mac setting form the hard drive and start again to see if the NHD would now work, it did and again was backing fine for 2-3 hours until boom done the same thing again same error message and the same .plist corruption?

I'm sure that this issue is with time machine or the Iomega software as sometime that fails to load up, I've updated them both including the drive firmware to the latest version as this is supposed to fix the glitch with apples updated AFP but it still fails after a set time, I think this issue is with the fact there is no keychain access for authenticating the NHD so I think time machine forgets the user name and password for the drive and so the Iomega drive won't let time machine log into it thus causing AFP errors, but I re-authenticate manually and it doesn't even try just immediately throws up AFP error, time machine is kind of rubbish to be honest I've seen better.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lion changed how it handles authentication with AFP shares. If the maker of your drive has not patched its software to make it compatible then you'll have few options.

Edit:
    I have a QNAP NAS and once QNAP patched the firmware, any and all issues were resolved. See if Iomega has a patch for your unit

3. PirateMonkey thread starter macrumors member

I have installed the patch for both the software and the firmware and it still throws up AFP errors, although Iomega's website clearly states thats what the patch is supposed to fix, I edge towards thinking my time machine is screwed just from the random finder error codes it will throw at me from time to time.

Is there a .plist for time machine?

Thank you

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

Its not your home Library but the root directory

5. PirateMonkey thread starter macrumors member

Yup I checked it's not even in there lol! I've also done a search under the library/preferences folder and still nothing!! I wonder if this is why I'm getting finder crashes?

My solution so far is to use silver keeper it seems to be doing the trick and has remembered the user name and password for the drive in the keychain.