AFP not working connecting to 10.8 Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by brijazz, Oct 23, 2013.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Just updated my MacBook Pro to 10.9 without issue. I also have a Mac mini on my network, still running 10.8. It's name on the network is macmini.local.

If I try to use AFP to connect from the MacBook to the mini with afp://macmini.local, I get "There was a problem connecting to the server...."

I then enabled Samba sharing on the Mac mini, and connected with smb://macmini.local successfully. I know that SMB is meant to replace AFP in Mavericks. Does this mean that AFP connections simply won't work from a Mavericks machine anymore? Or is this just a bug?

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I'm having a similar issue, but both machines are upgraded to Mavericks, and I can connect from machine 2 to machine 1 via AFP, but not the other way around. SMB doesn't work either.

Will be interested to see if this is a widespread issue.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have this box checked in the sharing options to enable AFP?

[​IMG]

4. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

I think you're showing me the 10.9 sharing pane, but it's more-or-less the same under 10.8. Anyhow, yes: AFP sharing is checked.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that's 10.9.

6. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Fine, but I don't need file sharing turned on on the 10.9 machine. The issue is connecting to my 10.8 machine. File sharing is obviously turned on on that one, with AFP enabled.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I misread and thought you were going the other direction.

8. Wongers1 macrumors member

I have a similar problem. My macbook pro upgraded to 10.9. I can connect to my Netgear Readynas by AFP, but when I try and transfer any data I get an error message.

But if I use CIFS or SMB it works okay. Leads me to believe they will be getting rid of AFP completely.