AFP Shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nsheikh80, Jun 22, 2007.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I'm trying to mount an AFP Share via SSH and only want a particular folder to appear on the Mac where I am mounting the Share, however, my entire Volume is showing up.

I'm using the following command:

mount_afp -i afp://192.168.1.222/MacintoshHD/Users/bert/Movies /Users/Reynolds/afp

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I only want the contents of the Movies folder to show up and not the whole HD.

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Well, assuming you've created the AFP share properly with all the right permissions and everything, I'm going to then assume you're logging into the AFP server via an Admin account. If that's the case, folder mounts are not displayed/allowed because, by default, the admin group already has rights to mount the entire volume structure.

You can "fix" this in one of four ways:

1. "Gooiest" is to download/install SharePoints. From there System Preferences (or SharePoints.app) -> SharePoints -> AFS Properties -> Miscellaneous Properties Group -> Check "Admin as Normal User."

2. Create a standard user on the AFP server and use that account to login.

3. Most tedious is to use the Finder and browse to /Library/Preferences and copy com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist to writeable directory, making the property admin31GetSp to boolean Yes, and copy it back to /Library/Preferences so that you can Authenticate (or do so as root).

4. Easiest, most straightforward is to fire up Terminal and type this in:

Code:
    /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleFileServer admin31GetsSp -boolean true
    /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/killall AppleFileServer
    /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer
    You could string those all together into one Terminal command if you so desire. The last two commands are to restart the AFP server, but you can do that by turning off/on Personal File Sharing in System Preferences, if you'd rather. If you have OS 9 clients connecting, you'll probably want to alter the adminGetsSp to be Yes as well.

All of these are done on the AFP server.

3. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I used Sharepoints and that worked brilliantly! I think Sharepoints is going to be my new fav app and I can see myself using it a lot!

Sharepints got me thinking......could I also use it to mount shares on my AppleTV? I tried using the commands above after SSH'ing in to the AppleTV but nothing seems to be coming up in the Files section. Any ideas? Can 2 different users be connected to the same share?

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yes, two users can be connected to the same share, and usually can be using the same file, too. I don't quite recall whether or not the client version of OS X supports oplocks/strict locking via AFP by default. To my knowledge it does, but I could very well be mistaken on this.

I don't have an AppleTV, but I'll forward you to AwkwardTV, even though I assume you're already aware of the site. It tells you where to map your AFP share for it to be picked up by the ATVFiles extension. Be sure to double check all your permissions, too. Please be advised that, according to the article, it would appear that "mount_afp" no longer works with the latest firmware (1.1). I have no way of confirming that, but it's something to watch out for.

5. madzippo macrumors newbie

Two users accessing the same TimeCapsule

Hi,

I'm currently having lots of issues with two local users accessing the same timecapsule at the same time. I even started a thread in apple Discussions without success.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2383946&tstart=0

Do you think this solution you provided will fix my problem?

Thanks

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

The link you provided shows that the latest version of Sharepoints was for Tiger. Considering the many changes since then, are there any issues using the app with SL?