AFP vs SMB vs SMB2 vs other network protocols on OS X 10.8/10.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by edgr.sanchez, Sep 13, 2013.

1. edgr.sanchez macrumors member

I have a ReadyNAS 102 on my network and was wondering which network protocol would be best to use for my iMac (10.8).

I'm aware that 10.9 will bring SMB2, will that be a better choice than AFP when it's made public? I currently use AFP.

What are some of the benefits of AFP beyond speed?

Since I'm suing PLEX Media Server, would I benefit from using AFP since it would transfer the media faster?

Any thoughts on SMB2 replacing AFP?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

No one knows what the final release of 10.9 will do. Wait until it's released, then either run tests yourself, or wait and see what results other people get.

10.8.5 fixed a bug with 802.11ac and AFP. See here:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/0...e-than-doubles-802-11ac-file-transfer-speeds/

In general, you should always try something on your network to determine how it actually works. You may have some network limitations that other people don't. Without full knowledge of your network, including all routers, switches, topology, etc. compared to full knowledge of the test network, all anyone can do is guess. Maybe it'll be the same and maybe it won't. Try it, see what happens.

3. edgr.sanchez thread starter macrumors member

Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I

[​IMG]

If that helps, I just made that, but yeah just figured I'd ask for advice.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

After that Router I would use a self managed switch (like This one) and use CAT 6 cable all throughout your internal network. This way all future video will play with minimal stuttering.