AFP vs. SMB

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Craig Christ, May 2, 2007.

1. Craig Christ macrumors member

Hi guys,
    Just joined the boards and looking for some info on AFP vs. SMB. I'm setting up a new Xserve, in which one of its main roles will be file services. I'm wondering which protocol offers the best performance, AFP or SMB? No Windows platform will need access to these Sharepoints. I'll create an SMB share point if needed for the 1 windows box we have.

I'm also curious about this because in the future, if we need another box as a file server, do I even need an Apple server for AFP? Can I simply invest in a PC and load linux with Samba? Will it have the same performance as AFP with OS X server?

I know that AFP goes through TCP/IP, but I'm not sure how it remains discoverable in network sidebar without AppleTalk. Is this possible because of DNS?
    Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you are not going to access your server from Windows, then your decision is a no-brainer. Go with AFP.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I've found AFP to be faster. Uploading a full DVD Rip to my iMac G3 over the network was faster than uploading it to a (1 year old) Dell lappy connected in the same way.

Plus AFP has Password Protection...