AFP while no internet - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmmo20, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hello!
    Yesterday someone apparently severed a trunk fiber line down our street so we don't currently have internet conection at home (we have a FTTH connection).

Well, as it turns out.. we cannot make AFP work between our 3 macs.
    Each computer sees each other on our LAN, I can ping, and I can access through a remote desktop software. HOWEVER, file sharing does NOT work from finder.

I click on the computer's name and it says "Connecting…" forever. Nothing happens, and eventually I get a TCP error. I also try to HTTP one of the computers which has web sharing on and it doesnt't work either.

I'm really puzzled.. local networking using 10.0.0.x ip's should work just fine even if there's no internet connection, right!? also I don't understand why I can ping each computer just fine using Terminal but not access it through http or afp.

Any ideas?
    I unplugged the cable modem and left the airport extreme alone and same old. I even set up the airport extreme to act as dhcp server (therefore creating a sub-LAN within my home LAN) and still the same result.

The reason I ultimately want to connect the computers is so that I can backup my laptop over time machine on the mac home server.

thanks!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Have you tried turning off the cable modem and setting up the Airport Extreme to be your one and only router, not a sub-LAN? Then renew leases on each computer. It also helps if you try switching from say 10.x.x.x to 192.x.x.x. Turn off file sharing then restart it, and connect again.

Rob

3. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep I tried that.. with the same result!!