Afraid I blew up my HDD. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Criostoir07, May 13, 2008.

1. Criostoir07 macrumors newbie

I'm a long time reader but first time poster. Thanks for all the great help over the past couple of years.

I'm an intermediate to experienced Mac user, and I had a Windows partition on my MBP that I wanted to make bigger. (Due to the "Some files cannot be moved" issue I only had 5GB on the Windows partition.) So I used Bootcamp to remove the partition, and tried to create a new larger one. Ran into the same problem though, so I backed everything up and started up from the Leopard upgrade disc in order to erase the whole drive (I had a lot of junk files and thought it'd be best to just clear the whole thing off). I then naively decided to erase with the "write zeros" over the whole thing option. Yeah... stupid me. Now I can't install using my Leopard disc (assuming because it's an upgrade disc) and so I just get this blinking file folder icon with a question mark in the center.

What are my options here? I backed up my system using Time Machine, and I also did a drag and drop copy of everything to another external drive. I need to be up and running ASAP so I would really appreciate any and all help you guys could give.

Thanks,

C.

2. Tweak3D macrumors regular

if all you have is an upgrade disc, you will have to restore the computer with your original OS disk that came with the laptop and then upgrade from that.

3. Criostoir07 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know it's too late now, but your other option would have been to defragment your HDD before creating a bigger bootcamp partition.