Afraid iPhone will be bricked

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amesbunny03, Jul 11, 2008.

1. amesbunny03 macrumors newbie

Background:
    I bought my iPhone from the AT&T store in Ohio back in the spring of 2008. It was locked and I bought (and still use) the ATT data plan that accompanies the iPhone activation. I am now visiting Thailand, and decided to take the plunge and unlocked my iphone in order to be able to purchase a Thai prepaid SIM and make calls to the USA. I didn't want to be bombarded with insane ATT phone bills.

My iPhone was the most up to date so far, with version 1.1.4. I return to the US in a month. I don't really care about the other perks that locked phones have to offer. When I return to the USA, I'm wanting to put my ATT SIM back in the phone, restore it (thus, relocking it), and be able to use 2.0.

Question:
    When I put my ATT SIM back in the iphone and plug it in the computer, itunes is going to run and I'm afraid that it will automatically update my iphone to 2.0 BEFORE I get the chance to Restore it. How may i go about restoring the phone without bricking it? I'm very worried and paranoid.

Sorry if this has been asked before.. i searched around but didn't see one that answered my question fully. Thank you!:confused:

2. pdechavez macrumors regular

The phone will NOT update itself automatically...due to legal issues it wont..so dont worry =D