Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwilkes2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Alabama
I have had my MacBook Pro for almost 4 years. It has been a very reliable computer and I have gotten a lot of use out of it. Within the past few weeks, it has stopped responding to anything I do, and within 5 minutes of being turned on it gets EXTREMELY hot.. An acquaintance of mine who is extremely tech-savvy believes the motherboard or harddrive is the issue. I don't know what to do. I believe I may just have to buy a new laptop.. Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have had my MacBook Pro for almost 4 years. It has been a very reliable computer and I have gotten a lot of use out of it. Within the past few weeks, it has stopped responding to anything I do, and within 5 minutes of being turned on it gets EXTREMELY hot.. An acquaintance of mine who is extremely tech-savvy believes the motherboard or harddrive is the issue. I don't know what to do. I believe I may just have to buy a new laptop.. Any ideas?
It could be a hardware or a software issue. First, make sure you have a current backup, in case your hard drive fails.

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. Post your temps and fan speeds.

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I don't know what to do. I believe I may just have to buy a new laptop.

If u want this answer, YES, go ahead, upgrade time.

To the more tech savvy in us, is like a overheating car, usually not fatal, but requires getting hands dirty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.