Afraid of scratching Logitech ultrathin keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MiniMoke, May 25, 2012.

1. MiniMoke macrumors member

Hi, I got my iPad and Logitech Ultrathin keyboard today and I am totally impressed not only by the iPad, but by the keyboard too! Fits like a glove, looks great, great typing experience too!

Only thing I'd really like to solve is, the aluminum bottom of the Keyboard does slide on tabletops, bad for stable computing, and I am afaid to scratch it sooner or later while putting it down on different objects.

Does anyone know of a thin skin for the keyboard, not the iPad, or is there a way to stick some thin rubber strips underneath and still retain the good looks?

I'd be happy if someone could find a solution.

2. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I had the Zagg which has the aluminum back for the iPad 1 and had the same problem. I bought a pack of small rubber round dots from a hardware store and put one on each corner. Solved the sliding problem, but the aluminum did get scratches anyway.

Have a great day,
    HiddenPuppy

3. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about the sliding part but to protect from scratches you should try this http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...es-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php zagg has a keyboard invisible shield for the "keyboard case" but I'm guessing it should be just about the same size as the ultra thin keyboard.

BTW where did you purchase your ultra thin? I currently have a zagg folio and wanting to purchase a ultra thin keyboard to give it a shot and possibly return my zagg folio because there are quite a few things I don't like on the zagg folio.

4. MiniMoke thread starter macrumors member

I got it directly from Logitech. Thanks for the hint with the keyboard cover.

5. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I wonder if the Sena Ultraslim sleeve for the original iPad would accommodate the new iPad plus Logitech keyboard?

6. slaphotk macrumors member

7. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Look at the other Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard threads (there are 3+). Your question was answered by me and others.

----------

Black leather Targus iPad sleeve for $20 on Best Buy site. Have it. Love it. For this answer too, look at the other threads.

8. Scottyee macrumors regular

Until a Skin Manufacterer (hopefully) releases a skin created specifically for the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard, here's what I'm using on the bottom of my Ultrathin.Utilizes a light 3M adhesive that leaves no residue when removed. Remains securely in place during everyday use, yet can be easily repositioned or removed at will without leaving any residue or marks. Works good for now, but I'd ultimately prefer a skin solution:

Blue Lounge Kicks

[​IMG]

9. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

An easy (and possibly good enough) solution

I will try and stick/put (what I think are called) "pads" used as "feet" on the back of the Ultrathin Keyboard: 4 placed some centimetres from the corners, and even one perhaps placed in the middle of the back. The pads I have in mind, are those that normally are used to protect the floor from the scratching of the "legs" of furniture (e.g. chairs and tables). These pads are made of some rather thin wollen-like material, can have different colors - also white - and can be put on by the adhesive "glue", which is so that they can be removed in an easy manner, without leaving a trace or mark on the keyboard's back.

It may not be the most "elegant" or beautiful solution to the problem, but I think I will try and see how it works.

10. Jamie37211 macrumors regular

I had the same fear, so...

BestSkinsEver was running a Memorial Day BOGOF sale, so i grabbed a back skin for my iPad 2 and, since it was free, I picked up a back skin for the original iPad to try on the back of the Logitech Ultra Thin. I think it will actually work well, but I am prepared to do a bit of trimming if needed. I should have them by the end of the week, so if it is a successful fit I will post pics, etc. If not, then the search will continue.

11. Scottyee macrumors regular

I too was able to get in on the BestSkinsEver Memorial Day sale, ordering a back skin for my iPad 3, but opted for a skin for my cellphone as my free 2nd item. Had I realized the original iPad back skin might have worked for my Logitech Ultrathin, I suppose I too might have done what you did. That being the case, I'm really looking forward to finding out from you if the Original iPad back skin will fit the Logitech Ultrathin & without any trimming required. Jamie, thanks in advance for acting as a guinea pig for us. :)

12. joekim1026 macrumors regular

look up a video on youtube called "logitech ultrathin keybaord cover + smart cover"

13. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Please update once you receive this product. Thanks!

14. Scottyee, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

Scottyee macrumors regular

Meltdown,
    Received the BestSkinsEver skin and installed it yesterday. I read the instructions carefully so I credit that to a smooth impressively succesful install.
    Looks fantastic and gives the iPad back just the amount of grippy feel I was after preserving the iPads mininalist form factor and light as possible weight. Believe it or not, I've decided to forgo using the INcase Mag Snap shield anymore. I initially mistakenly thought It required the Incase 2 magnet configuration on the case back approach to support the apple smart cover 38 degree "mid-position" angle height. Boy was I WRONG. I'v now figured out how to achieve this 3rd position without a back case. I can enthusiasitcally recommend BestSkinsEver skins. Fast service, delivery, and a quality product.

15. joekim1026 macrumors regular

How do you achieve the third angle?

16. Scottyee macrumors regular

Here's a picture I took of my iPad (with BestSkinsEver back skin) with Apple Smart Cover in the 3rd angle position. It's my favorite ipad viewing angle when seated at a table. I also find this position solid and stable when tapping/typing on the screen. :)

Attached Files:

17. joekim1026 macrumors regular

Oh wow! I'm using it right now with my devicewear union case and it holds up!

18. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Devicewear union fits with a back skin applied?

19. Scottyee macrumors regular

I too would like to know if the Devicewear Union would be able to fit over the iPad 3 with a clear back skin (BestSkinsEver) installed.

I tried it with my my Incase Mag Snap backshell case, but the fit is overly tight creating the potential risk of damage to the skin. If the DeviceWear Union can fit over a clear skin back, I 'll probably get the DeviceWear Union.

The iPad 3 with an InCase Mag Snap case "barely fits", and is overly snug in the Logitech Ultrathin Kb's iPad slot holder. The thickness" of the Incase Mag Snap case also compromise the Logitech magnet strength to adequately secure and keep the iPad in place. Perhaps the DeviceWear Union shell is thinner, and the reason it fits well in the Logitech Ultrathin Kb and also maintains the Logitech's Kb's magnetic strength to solidly secure the iPad in the slot holder too. Please confirm :)

20. joekim1026 macrumors regular

sorry for any misunderstanding! i only have the devicewear union on it right now, no skin! however, i am expecting my generic ebay skin to be delivered any day now so when that comes in, i will update!

21. joekim1026 macrumors regular

i got my icarbons brushed aluminum skin for the back of my ipad 3 and i can confirm that the devicewear union does fit on the back with the icarbon skin applied

22. Scottyee macrumors regular

Joe, thanks for the heads re that. :)
    Btw, I really appreciated the YouTube demo you made showing how you magnetically pair up your Logitech Ultrathin along with the iPad + smart cover unit altogether, and then swing around the smart cover under the Logitech Ultrathinm to provide a non slip surface while typing. Thanks to you, I do the same now. :cool:

23. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

This is definitely a YMMV thing. I just put on the carbon fiber texture iCarbons, and my Union broke a corner tab when I attempted to see if it would fit on top.

Theory in the other thread is that the carbon fiber texture might be a little thicker than the aluminum texture.

24. boraxatude macrumors member

I second Joe's smart cover/ultrathin combo method. Works great, along with an iCarbons skin on both the ultrathin and ipad.