Afraid to Buy rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stacked, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Stacked macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm on the verge of buying a 13" rMBP but what's holding me back is all these posts about the coating coming off the screen. Does it really come off as easily as people posting make it seem ?

I'm considering waiting to see if Apple addresses the issue. Should I ? :confused:

2. Zerka macrumors member

Just think, thousands of MacBook Pros are sold every year. Of course some are going to have defects, and that's what this forum is for. People come here to express their issues and whatnot with their laptops. Chances are, your rMBP will be fine. People wouldn't post about how their rMBP doesn't peel. Plus you always have a warrenty to back you up in case it gets funky out the box

3. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Don't read the posts and try not to worry. If it comes off you can get it replaced.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Consider that Apple sold something like 4 million Macs in a quarter. If just one percent of the models have a hardware issue, then that is 40,000 defectives... your odds are pretty good that yours will be fine.

don't forget that people don't usually post "My rMBP is fine!". I have a 2013 rMBP and have traveled with it and no problems.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd be more afraid of buying a computer that you can't upgrade the RAM on than buying one where the screen coating is going to fail.

6. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I'd be even more afraid, if buying a computer was something I was afraid of.

7. Stacked thread starter macrumors regular

You're right about people not coming to say their Mac is fine. Think I'm putting too much thought into this.

8. Gman021 macrumors regular

Mine works fine. dont worry about something that affects less than 1% of people.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nobody bothers to look up Macrumors, go through the account creation process, find the correct subforum to post in, start a new thread only to say "hi, just wanted to drop in and say my computer works as intended" never to be seen again.

On every forum, dedicated to anything, you'll find a (very) vocal minority of people having problems with a product. Everything'll get a bad review here and there, that's just how things are.

Buy it, if you have any problems due to defects, that's what a warranty is for.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Never seen that problem happen before. Regardless, it comes with a warranty to fix defects.

11. wct097 macrumors 6502

After the problems I've had with shoddy quality on Macbook Pros, my advice is to buy Apple Care and put both the computer and extended warranty on an Amex for a total of 4 years of warranty. I haven't had a MBP last over 2.5 years, so I figure 4 should be plenty.

12. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I am a new owner of the 13" rMBP (mid 2014) and I am loving it.

You have to remember that since rMBP are mass produced just like anything else, there is a probable chance that you'll get a lemon... it's a fact. But that should not hinder you from buying stuff and if there is something wrong with it, you have the standard 1 yr warranty and optional Apple Care for it.

13. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Don't ask how but I've owned 3 Retina MacBook Pros and whilst my experience hasn't been perfect (although it's been pretty damn close) I haven't seen the issue with the screen coating.

I also work in a school that has quite a few of them and again, no issues despite them not being treated particularly well...

As others have said, even if it was just one batch that had an issue with how the coating was applied, you'd still see a lot of people vocalising issues on MacRumors. You have to remember that people don't exactly post just to say "everything works fine for me!". It's usually a fairly vocal minority that experiences problems, and again, from what I've seen, Apple have been pretty good about replacing the affected models.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd not be nervous about the coating, just be mindful and not clean it to hard or use harsh chemicals.

15. MikeVera macrumors member

/thread

LOLOLOL

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Bingo...I've read a number of threads where the OP said he/she is "Afraid" of something regarding a computer. They should stop using that word and replace it with "Concerned" instead. ;)

17. Stacked thread starter macrumors regular

Uhh, I don't know whose posts/threads you're reading but I have never made a thread or post (except for this one) where I said I was "afraid" of anything computer related. Mind you, a better adjective could have been used but you get the idea. What's the big deal ?:rolleyes:

18. dyt1983, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Meant other OP's in addition to you using the word "Afraid" A number of posters use this word and it should not be used because it tells me someone is easily afraid of things that one should not be afraid of....Unless you get an IRS audit :D

20. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Umm it's gotten a little harder to clean but I don't know about any coating issues.

21. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I wouldn't worry about it. I just got a 15", I'm not worried, if it happens I will just take it back to apple to get replaced. Its definitely not a common problem.