AFS and encryption question

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Loa, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Right now I'm using a few encrypted disk images to protect some folders. Is there any chance that this "enhanced encryption" from AFS will allow to simply encrypt a folder?

Thanks

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

You can already do that now if you know your way around Terminal. It's not a limitation of the file system, although APFS could in theory make the encryption of individual items more secure and faster. Haven't tried it out yet, but I can test it out for you soon - See if there's a more easy way to do it now.

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

You mean that I could use terminal to encrypt a folder, and after that, the Finder would ask for a password when I try to open it?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

No - Decrypting it would also have to be done through the Terminal I'm afraid. Finder would say the file is damaged. It would see it as a bunch of nonsense until it was decrypted

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Well, that's not really a better solution than using encrypted disk images. I can't believe we're in 2017 and there's still not an easy solution to encrypting specific folders... Encrypted disk images are just that, but with a clumsy interface. Streamlining that would fix it. Keep the back-end processes, but make the image and volume appear just like a normal folder in its regular hierarchy.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You could also create an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility. That plays nicer with Finder than using the Terminal.

7. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

That's exactly what the OP says he/she does

8. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I enabled encryption about ten days ago. FileVault preference pane has sad 1 minute remaining for the past ten days or so.

fdesetup status (in terminal) has reported 0% for that same time......suddenly today, the percentage has gone from 0-13% and rising 1% every ten minutes or so..... I am not sure what changed.... but something is happening.