After 10.5.6 Mail constantly displaying 247 unread messages

Discussion in 'macOS' started by foidulus, Dec 17, 2008.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

So I upgraded to 10.5.6, and then after reboot mail kept on bugging me for the password of an old account that I had set up a while back that is now disabled. I set the account to disabled and before 10.5.6 mail never bothered me about it, but in 10.5.6, no matter how many times I would hit "Cancel", it wouldn't do anything. So I just went in and deleted the account, then mail said that I have 247 unread messages in my mailbox(I set the total to be all mailboxes combined). However, in all the available mailboxes I have none. I have went through all the preferences files, even tried deleting the preference file and nothing worked.

I went into the mailbox data directory and couldn't see anything wrong. Any idea what could be causing the dock icon to report 247 unread messages? Any idea how I can get rid of it.

I've been as frustrated with the nonstop bug parade that is Leopard as I was when I was using a Microsoft OS:mad:

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Maybe select all messages, and go to "Mark as read"

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....a little trick that sometimes fixes odd things like that is to select the mailbox (not a message, be focused on the mailbox) and then from the Mailbox menu select "rebuild" (it's right at the bottom of that menu)....oh yeah!

4. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

Just to confirm what the Duff-Man has said!

Rebuilding your mailboxes will fix this issue, most likely.

5. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, I eventually fixed it by creating a smart mailbox that contained all unread messages, then selected everything in there and marked them as "read"