After 10.6.1 update remote Time machine will not connect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Europe calling, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

I updated to 10.6.1 and now my remote TM backupdisk (connected to airport) will not connect. I can't make backups, nor can i access them.
    SL is some buggy update. If i had the time and could access my backup i would downgrade to 10.5.8! :mad:

Attached Files:

2. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

You are not alone. 10.6.1 caused my TM to stop working too. :mad:

Also, iChat now frequently crashes.

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

My situation:

MBP 10.6.1 via ethernet to Time Machine network share (a shared external FW800 drive) on 10.6.1 Mac mini host - OK

MacMini 10.6.1 to same FW800 drive via firewire - OK

PPC MacMini 10.5.8 Server via ethernet to Time Machine network share (a shared external FW800 drive) on 10.6.1 Mac mini host - NOT working, the backup never starts transferring.

4. Europe calling thread starter macrumors regular

Europe calling

Help. Anybody?
    I can no longer access my TM backup since the update t 10.6. Even the update to 10.6.1 did not resolve the problem.
    I get the attached error message. The backupdisk is normally mounted and accessible via finder :confused:

Attached Files:

5. paulisme macrumors 6502

6. Girlwerks macrumors newbie

Time Machine hell

Include me in on this- TM won't backup anymore after SL upgrade! I have tried everything from erasing disk completely ( SL ate all my backup files!) running repair , throwing away prefs and reformatting disk..Have also called Apple 3 times with no help given other than to do a Clean install!!!!

The error message I keep getting is the error 11

7. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

After calling Apple and jumping through their hoops, the guy finally said he did not know why this happend and that he saw nothing in his database about this being a problem with SL.

I finally had to downgrade to 10.5.8. Backups are working again.

8. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Time Machine Backup Full

I had the same issue as those discussed here and called tech support. They too were unable to find a solution.

On my own, I did the following and perceive that (1) I no longer see the 'filled up' message and (2) in clicking on the external HDD that I use for the TM backup, I see that backups have been working since that time.

Don't ask me why or to explain how this worked, but: Go to Preferences, click on Time Machine, select Options and then 'UNCLICK' the box entitled 'notify after all backups are deleted'. Maybe this is a 'head in the sand' solution, but it seemed to work for me - or I don't recognize an error anymore! :):)

Bob

9. Girlwerks macrumors newbie

Ok.. I am also trying this.. Needing desperately to backup my files.. I tried using Backup- this also crashes after just a few minutes of cataloging the files. What's going on ?????

Don't ask me why or to explain how this worked, but: Go to Preferences, click on Time Machine, select Options and then 'UNCLICK' the box entitled 'notify after all backups are deleted'. Maybe this is a 'head in the sand' solution, but it seemed to work for me - or I don't recognize an error anymore! :):)

Bob[/QUOTE]

10. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Sorry it doesn't work for you - such things can really frustrate one.

As a test, I just now did a test that went as follows: (1) I wrote a junk letter in Word and saved it to the 'desktop'; (2) then I right clicked on the TM icon in the tool bar and selected 'back up now'; (3) after it quit doing the audible action, I double clicked on my external 500 GB HDD that I use for backup, and in the screen that opened from the backup drive I clicked on the 'desktop' icon in the left hand column and the letter I made in step (1) above is the very first item in the middle column. Clicking on it brought it to the screen for any further action.

Also, another method is to click the backup drive, then selecting the backup file shown, then 'users', then 'home' (my name or whatever name given), then 'desktop' and the file I saved is located.

I tried to include an attachment of a screenshot of it, but it wouldn't upload.

Not sure why you are getting the 'crash' you describe, nor why my method worked for me.

Bob