After 10.7.4 install, ZERO upload bandwidth. Coincidence?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trickness, May 13, 2012.

1. trickness macrumors member

Wondering if this is just a bad coincidence...installed 10.7.4 on Friday. Same day, my upload bandwidth has suddenly dropped to zero. I've got Roadrunner wideband, and the download speed is still near 50 mbps, but the upload test just hangs and then gives me 0.08 mbps after like ten minutes. Even a simple photo upload to Facebook takes an hour, before it took seconds.

Rebooted modem & router, tried direct ethernet from modem to the Macbook Pro, same issue. Ran ClamXav, no viruses.

Called Time Warner (useless) and spoke to three techs, so escalating tomorrow with them. Any ideas? Wondering if this could have anything to do with the update, timing was about the same. Thanks for any help.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I seem to remember my upload being faster (around 12) before the 10.7.4 update (which I got yesterday evening) so perhaps you are on to something here. Of course we're dealing with Comcast here so variability is more likely their problem than the result of anything I'm doing or Apple might be doing.

Have you tried any real world tests like uploading a file via ftp? These benchmarks are all faked out by sending modest amounts of data so the only way you can tell if your upload is really working is to try uploading a file. BTW, if your upload was really ZERO, you couldn't reply to a forum post. Just sayin'...

BTW, just noticed you mentioned a slow upload to facebook. Try a few different sites and see if any are faster than others. Most often when I've had "network" issues, rebooting my cable modem or having Comcast hit it with a fresh DOCSIS download cured the problem. The long term cure was getting an Airport Extreme base station. Once I did that, my modem/router resets went from more than twice a month to less than once a year.

[​IMG]

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Does OS X Lion officially support upload? I'm not sure.

4. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Mine on 10.7.4 is still rock solid at what it was before, and it is what I contract for. Unfortunately, what I contract for is a wireless based broadband and the only thing that is available to me out in rural AZ.
    [​IMG]

You guys with 34/6 Mbps just need to suck it up and suffer :)

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

No problems here. Getting about 10.5M up and down, which is on par to a windows box is getting on the same network. This is wired ethernet.

Now, when I switch to wireless (same network), I get 4.14 down and 1.94 down. I do know that the wireless routers are throttled here and we have everyone who has a smartphone connecting to them, so the wireless test is probably not very reliable.

You got me curious though - I'll have to check out what happens at home (I have TW) I can also compare my 10.7.4 mbp with my 10.6.8 iMac

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

But you didn't get an F. You got an F+. :D

Seriously, though, ouch. :( I hope you get some better ISP options soon.

7. trickness thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - it's taking me an entire day to send 15 megs in YouSendIt, and Speedtest shows 0.08 mbps or less. Still trying to connect with Time Warner's "level 3" support - I've hung up twice after waiting for an hour with no pickup, TWC does suck ass.

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I would just tell TWC to send a tech to your house and not let them leave until it's fixed.

By the way, I did a test at home an I am getting about 20M down and a little over 1M up if I remember right. I checked with both my macs (one is 10.6.8 and the other 10.7.4) and the results were identical.

9. rlischer macrumors newbie

I dumped Roadrunner Wideband a year ago because of 50 down and 0 up, they finally admitted after 3 visits and 2 routers that they don't have the bandwidth to support it.

10. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I must agree with this. I had cable modem resets more than once a month and finally got fed up and had Comcast send a tech. He found low signal level and then found all kinds of loose fittings and bad wires. After he left, the problems were much less frequent.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I had a Bright House tech come out here and find a cable outside that had a little nick in it, which had been letting moisture into the cable and was intermittently causing me to completely lose signal. I've also several times had them tell me I had too high signal level, and in two cases they simply installed a splitter without connecting anything to one side of it in order to cut down on the signal so it would work properly. All kinds of things can go wrong with these connections...

jW