After 10.9.2 update.. strange behaviours.. help!!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aycwong2, Feb 26, 2014.

1. aycwong2 macrumors newbie

1. reboot takes forever with flashing screen

Good thing is it eventually "settle down", and the Mac Mini functions.. but it's freaking me out. Looks like the update did something bad to the Mac. Like some folks, I'm seeing 2 updates on my update history. Same reason as many have noticed, the first update didn't take, and the 2nd update finishes.

I ran disk utility and everything, but nothing is showing up as broken. I rebooted twice, and every time it starts, and then (load the dock, flashes, kinda "restart" with the spinning circle in the middle, dock disappears), do this about 10 times, and then stabilizes. Yikes!!!

2. some of my dock application icons goes "generic" on me

Almost all the applications I had open during the upgrade goes "generic" on me. It's showing up as the "paper with a pencil and brush" generic icon. So far the only app that fixes itself by relaunching the app is Chrome!! My office icon won't change. I even re-installed Office, and my Excel/Word still won't change. My Powerpoint icon stays for some reason. Strangely I tried to install Onyx to fix the icon cache, but the new app is also installed with the "generic" icon.

Any way I can fix/change my app icons??

Any one else experiencing these problem?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You could try a non destructive re install of OSX. That should clear up the mess that's been left behind by the first failed update.

3. aycwong2 thread starter macrumors newbie

fixed!!!

So apparently.. this time it fixed it..

Use Onyx - http://www.titanium.free.fr

But use the Maintence / Rebuild option (Cleaning didn't work for me, but for some others it did).. and check off "Appearance of folders' content".. to revert all the .DS_Store files for icon related stuff.

And then restart.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Onyx is an excellent app, but should be used with extreme care...I've been using it for years, but it's not really for newcomers...I'd recommend reading through the excellent tutorial files before using it for anything serious.

As it is, I rarely use it for anything other than running scripts on my rMBP which isn't on 24/7.

I tend to lean on terminal if I want to do some low end maintenance.

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

That has nothing to do with one update not finishing and it having to install again. It's just a bug in the App Store with how it displays completed updates.

The double update issue has been there throughout the beta builds too.

6. BMW535i macrumors member

I am having exactly the same issue with long startups and a flashing screen since updating to 10.9.2.

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

That's why "Maintenance" from the same developer is highly recommended to newcomers.