Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
UPDATE: Netflix has now released an update that has resolved this bug, at least for me.
———————

I have an HDR10 Sony 900E TV. Before the latest update, HDR titles in Netflix would show Dolby Vision badges (Netflix told me this was normal as Apple TV is DV capable even if the TV isn’t.)

Now after the latest update, all titles show the standard ‘UltraHD 4K’ badge when browsing the menus even if the title has HDR, making it impossible to know what’s HDR and what’s not.

Is anyone else encountering this after the latest update, or is it working for you? If you comment, please let us know if you have an HDR10 or a Dolby Vision TV. Maybe this only affects certain TVs.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, I have the Apple TV set to 4K HDR as the default video mode, so the Netflix menu is running in HDR mode.

Last edited:

dazultra

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017
Make sure you don't have content match (on) in video and audio settings. This disables HDR/DV on all content with HDR only TVs

I have an HDR10 Sony 900E TV. Before the latest update, HDR titles in Netflix would show Dolby Vision badges (Netflix told me this was normal as Apple TV is DV capable even if the TV isn’t.)

Now after the latest update, all titles show the standard ‘UltraHD 4K’ badge when browsing the menus even if the title has HDR, making it impossible to know what’s HDR and what’s not.

Is anyone else encountering this after the latest update, or is it working for you? If you comment, please let us know if you have an HDR10 or a Dolby Vision TV. Maybe this only affects certain TVs.

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
Make sure you don't have content match (on) in video and audio settings. This disables HDR/DV on all content with HDR only TVs

Huh?
Why would turning on content match disable HDR/DV?
That is the antithesis of what it is designed to do.

bigrids

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017

Hi,

I have just done the update. been waiting ages for it too. However, I also have the same problem. I turned both switches on and went onto Netflix. The programmes that I usually watch (The Crown for example) were no longer in HDR despite being advertised as such. I have a Panasonic 4K tv which is HDR10. I have now switched them both off and returned my settings to 4K HDR 25hz. Netflix is back to what I'm used to. I'm not sure what settings I should set my Apple TV to but perhaps I'll take a longer look at it over the weekend.

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015

The bug occurs for me whether Match Dynamic Range is on or off (although I did not try restarting or force-quitting Netflix as I toggled it on and off.) However, the behaviour you describe is definitely not what that feature is *designed* to do. Is that a bug you're seeing?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
not a bug, but an updated feature in the OS that hasn't made it to the app yet.

the released app was written for .1, so it doesn't know about the switching capability, and can't show the correct mode.

Reactions: Rudy1

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
not a bug, but an updated feature in the OS that hasn't made it to the app yet.

the released app was written for .1, so it doesn't know about the switching capability, and can't show the correct mode.

Do you know that for a fact, or is that an assumption?

It doesn't add up to me, because I have my Apple TV set to 4K HDR as the default video output. When I'm browsing the Netflix menus, the TV/ATV are already in HDR mode, so Netflix should know it's available. Also, I'll just add that once the tvOS 11.2 update finished, the Netflix app was showing a blue dot next to it, which I assume meant a new update was already ready and waiting but required tvOS 11.2.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Netflix app was updated today, right? Maybe this is addressed in the update.

For what it's worth, I tried this last night: both content matching options turned to on, my default display mode is 4k SDR, I tried playing an episode of Stranger Things and confirmed my TV was indeed displaying it in Dolby Vision. I did not take note of what the icons were showing, but I can confirm the right thing played.

Reactions: Poontaco

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015

For what it's worth, I tried this last night: both content matching options turned to on, my default display mode is 4k SDR, I tried playing an episode of Stranger Things and confirmed my TV was indeed displaying it in Dolby Vision. I did not take note of what the icons were showing, but I can confirm the right thing played.

Thanks, I see the same behaviour as well. Once actually playing an HDR title, if I pull down the top panel it is indeed showing Dolby Vision. So it's not a playback issue so much as a UI issue — you can't actually tell if something is in HDR until you start playing it and then manually check.

Netflix was updated for me yesterday alongside 11.2. Are you saying there's another new update today? I can't currently check, but will confirm later on...

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thanks, I see the same behaviour as well. Once actually playing an HDR title, if I pull down the top panel it is indeed showing Dolby Vision. So it's not a playback issue so much as a UI issue — you can't actually tell if something is in HDR until you start playing it and then manually check.

Netflix was updated for me yesterday alongside 11.2. Are you saying there's another new update today? I can't currently check, but will confirm later on...
I just noticed my phone updated the app today. When exactly it was released, I do not know. Nor do I know whether my Apple TV pulled down the update yet at all.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010

I just tested this as well and I can confirm that I no longer see the HDR/DV badges in the Netflix app, but when I play Stranger Things my LG OLED flashes the HDR badge and when I swipe down it shows that it is 4k DV. So I think this must just be some fluke or bug in the Netflix app.

I tested with both the default settings of SDR and HDR, with content matching enabled and Netflix showed only Ultra 4k HD as the badge.

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
I have no issue with the Netflix app showing the DV badge for the UHD titles after the update. I can highlight any of the DV titles, and it shows the Dolby Vision tags, just not the HDR tags.

Do you have a DV TV or an HDR10 TV? Also what video output mode is the Apple TV set to, and is content matching turned on? Thanks.

silentq15

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
I have noticed this issue as well however I am wondering if its because the Apple TV is now set to default to 4K SDR. I changed it to this simply because so much more content is in SDR than HDR so it cuts down on mode switching especially with Netflix. The badges are now gone though so I am not sure if thats because of the default mode. I really hope along with Netflix bringing back the badges that perhaps Apple could just leave the menus in the last DR format they were left in to avoid the amount of mode switching that currently occurs especially if your default is HDR.

Reactions: Poontaco

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Just an update to say that while Netflix released an iOS update today, tvOS was not included and this bug is still occurring.

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
I have noticed this issue as well however I am wondering if its because the Apple TV is now set to default to 4K SDR. I changed it to this simply because so much more content is in SDR than HDR so it cuts down on mode switching especially with Netflix. The badges are now gone though so I am not sure if thats because of the default mode. I really hope along with Netflix bringing back the badges that perhaps Apple could just leave the menus in the last DR format they were left in to avoid the amount of mode switching that currently occurs especially if your default is HDR.

Yes, this is definitely why the badges are not showing.
Netflix 'sees' that your Apple TV is set to SDR, so it does not show the badges.
If you set the menus to HDR the badges come back.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
I have my Apple TV set to 4K HDR and still don’t see the badges. Does that mean I’m not getting HDR?

BTW I still see them in my Netflix app loaded on my TV and when I watch Okja using the app on my TV I can clearly see the TV switching modes, where as if I watch it on Apple TV it doesn’t switch

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
I have my Apple TV set to 4K HDR and still don’t see the badges. Does that mean I’m not getting HDR?

BTW I still see them in my Netflix app loaded on my TV and when I watch Okja using the app on my TV I can clearly see the TV switching modes, where as if I watch it on Apple TV it doesn’t switch

It appears that content is still playing in HDR, it’s just the badges that are wrong. When you watch Okja on Apple TV, no switch happens because the TV is already in HDR mode, whereas the TV’s internal Netflix app runs in SDR for the menus.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
It appears that content is still playing in HDR, it’s just the badges that are wrong. When you watch Okja on Apple TV, no switch happens because the TV is already in HDR mode, whereas the TV’s internal Netflix app runs in SDR for the menus.

Hmm must be a Netflix issue then? Because yes something updated on my TV and the badges used to be there but they have disappeared.

Godfather4

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Having the same issue with certain content on new Amazon prime app and even spider man movie...have the 900e Sony and before update obviously everything was showing hdr...now certain movies don’t and certain shows on amazon prime don’t...

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
I would say its a Netflix issue. I've been getting more shows that are now not 4k (according to Netflix) after the update.

I'm seeing dolby shows, or 4k shows or hd.

Before it was just a buch of 4k shows, that were clearly not 4k

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
I have the Sony X940E and having the same issue. Netflix not longer show HDR or DV badges. I tried with content matching both on and off.

Godfather4

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Amazon prime now seems ok
Netflix nothing HDR
iTunes movies ok except spider no longer does for some reason ???

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Argh this is so confusing.

I have automatic switching turned on for both the HDR and framerate settings. It's default set at 4K SDR 60fps. When I start an HDR video from either Netflix or my iTunes library, my TV indicates that it has switched to either HDR or Dolby Vision. But the pulldown menu from the Apple TV no longer shows an HDR or DV badge while that content is playing like it did with the previous OS version. It does still show a 4K badge instead of HD though.

I've been trying to know for certain if the Apple TV is still correctly outputting HDR or DV content when it's supposed to, or did they simply (crazily) remove HDR badges from the pulldown menu with this new TVOS version?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Argh this is so confusing.

I have automatic switching turned on for both the HDR and framerate settings. It's default set at 4K SDR 60fps. When I start an HDR video from either Netflix or my iTunes library, my TV indicates that it has switched to either HDR or Dolby Vision. But the pulldown menu from the Apple TV no longer shows an HDR or DV badge while that content is playing like it did with the previous OS version. It does still show a 4K badge instead of HD though.

I've been trying to know for certain if the Apple TV is still correctly outputting HDR or DV content when it's supposed to, or did they simply (crazily) remove HDR badges from the pulldown menu with this new TVOS version?

If it's triggering your tv to show the HDR or DV popup, then it is HDR or DV, when you set the ATV to 4K SDR and when you have match resolution turned on. Just ignore the pulldown info. It's that simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.