after 2.1, AutoLock does not work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notOriginal, Sep 12, 2008.

1. notOriginal macrumors newbie

I upgraded to 2.1 this morning. After the update I made a call. When I finish I just left the phone on my desk. I can back about a half hour later and hte screen was on. II first dismissed it but then noticed that my battery was quite low for only being off the charger for half an hour. I did some more testing and found that the autolock no longer works.

Things I have done:
    checked the setting
    changed the setting and then changed them back
    checked the setting again
    powered off/on the phone
    checked setting again
    restored phone
    checked settings again.

It does not matter if the phone is in the charger/base or not. The autolock does not work.

Is anyone else having this issue?

2. rhynoh macrumors newbie

3. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

works with mine for 1 minute auto lock. Dims correctly as well.

4. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

after a minute my screen gets VERY dim, to the point where you can barely see it, then a couple seconds later it locks. i never really noticed any of that before since i usually lock my phone before i set it down

5. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Yeah that is how it is supposed to autolock.

6. rhynoh macrumors newbie

Yeah, my phone used to do that before the update, but it's not doing it now.

7. rhynoh macrumors newbie

anyone have a solution?

I've tried setting a passcode lock, changing the auto-lock settings, rebooting the phone, etc. No luck.

8. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, rhynoh,

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm convinced that the apps problems we saw on V2.0.x often led to corrupted backups, causing many weird problems if the backups were "restored from backup" onto V2.1 phones. You mentioned that you've done a restore. After that, did you restore from backup, or did you setup your phone as a new iPhone?

Good Luck!
    Mark

9. rhynoh macrumors newbie

I've tried several options. None of them seem to work. I also noticed that my email didn't work. Trying another reinstall to see if it helps. It's annoying.

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

My autolock works fine it's set to 1 minute, @around 50 secondsit dims then shuts off and locks at 1 minute.

11. rhynoh macrumors newbie

I finally reinstalled the software and everything worked for a few day. Then, today for some reason, about an hour ago, I'm having the same problems again. My email won't load...it tries, but then just takes me back to the home screen. The phone doesn't auto lock...it sits there and runs my battery down.

Anyone have any ideas?

Note: for those of you who are not having problems, congratulations.

12. busychild39 macrumors newbie

after 2.1, AutoLock does not work

I've experienced the same issue after the 2.1 upgrade. Today my phone locked up when attempting to send a link from safari to my email for later reading. After some time, and not really sure what I did, I was finally able to reboot my phone, and that's when I notice that I was experiencing the same problem. The phone would not auto-lock. Earlier in this thread some one mentioned email as a possible cause, so I removed my gmail account, and now the phone auto-locks properly. :) Although I didn't know the cause, this has happened once before, which was fixed after putting the phone in restore mode and reloading 2.1. But apparently, it has something to do with email, at least in my case.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I know this probably doesn't apply to you but, I thought I'd throw it out there:

As an FYI: AIM.app will not let your iPhone go to sleep if you have AIM.app running. Your screen will stay bright and it will not autolock. It's something they've done in AIM.app that prevents this. Just so you know.

14. pj rage macrumors 6502

So did you remove it and add it back, and that fixed it, or are you indefinitely living without email on your phone?

15. busychild39 macrumors newbie

I've re-added my gmail account and have sent links from safari a couple of times successfully. So for now I'm all good, the phone is auto-locking.

16. rhynoh macrumors newbie

It seems like it works for a few days, then starts having problems again. My email was working this morning, but it's not any longer. The phone is back to not auto locking again.

Edit:
    I've been on the phone with Apple Support about the post 2.1 upgrade problems I have been experiencing. I noticed that when I removed the email accounts (as suggested earlier in this forum topic) that the phone started auto locking again. I then re added the email accounts and everything is still working.

In talking with the support people, they had me do a full reset of the phone. Not just holding the Power button + Home button and then "sliding" to turn off, when prompted. Actually, keep holding the two buttons until the silver apple appears. (This is the same as holding the power button on a MAC/PC until the computer turns off.) You do not loose any information in this process.

He also suggested that if/when this happens again (and for me this happens about every three days), to toggle the Airplane mode for about 15-30 seconds.

It might be a problem with the phone trying to connect to the data services and not being able to make a good connection. The toggle essesentially would connect you to a different "port" on the tower. (Yes, I know that's probably not the correct term, but I'm thinking of it in the sence of the old dial-up internet services where you actually connected to a physical modem at the ISP.)

Hope this helps (and works!) until the next "update."

17. rhynoh macrumors newbie

Okay, here's my new theory. I'm still having problems with IMAP. I have also noticed that I am getting a UID IMAP error in outlook from time to time (due to a bug in my email server software). I believe this is the same problem effecting the iPhone however the iPhone doesn't give you a "warning." It just closes the program. Nice.

I disabled my non-working IMAP account (not deleted) and added a new account using the same exact settings. When I did this, I got an error saying the Incoming Mail Server IMAP settings were incorrect, but they were correct.

I think when the iPhone tries to connect to my reactivated, non functioning IMAP account, in the background...it's receiving the same UID error as Outlook, but doesn't now how to react and just craps itself.

18. busychild39 macrumors newbie

Update.

So I've been searching the net trying to find a fix. Email will not work, and the breaking of email kills the auto lock feature, which then degrades the battery life. As annoying as this is, with a second gen phone, I tried to wait it out, hoping that 2.2 will pick up and this problem and provide a fix. However after looking at others phones, I've realized another problem with my phone. My screen appears to be mis-alligned, as the LCD boarder is thicker on the left of the screen and more narrow on right. I took it into apple and requested a new phone considering both these issues.

Apple happily replaced my phone, and 1 day later I'm having the same problem. When I received the replacement phone, v2.0.2. the screen looked great, so I'm happy about that. But then I set up my email, and later that evening upgraded to 2.1. Today, as I'm sitting here writing this, my phone will not load email, and returns to home screen when attempting to look at the email settings. I'm thankful to have, these developers out there to bring us such a great technology such as the iphone, but couldn't these educated elite or the companies that pay them spend more time on quality control, especially for the price.