Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenLightJerky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
On my windows machine I have my iPhone set to copy the pics in the camera roll to my "my pictures" folder and then delete the.

This worked great until updating to 2.2.
Now everytime my phone syncs and tries to delete the photos from the phone it RESETS and reboots my phone.

Does anyone else have this issue?

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
I had much the same experience just this afternoon. I was viewing some pictures on my iPhone as thumbnails in Windows Explorer but deleting one caused the iPhone to crash so I gave up and deleted them on the iPhone instead.

Obviously yet another bug in 2.2!

luigirocks69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Crashing iphone after deleting photos from camera roll

Yup, I was searching this forum for a solution to exactly this problem! Before upgrading to 2.2, I was able to view and delete/copy/paste photos from the camera roll, from the PC's file manager (through "My Computer" and clicking on Iphone"). Now I can still look at that folder but when I select and try to delete photos, no way -- it causes the iPhone to freeze and I have to soft boot the iphone to get it back to life. I tried many times, but always with the same result (definition of insanty, I know, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't hallucinating!). It would appear this is a glitch related to the 2.2. upgrade. Anyone have any other suggestions for accessing and DELETING these pix en masse from a PC (i..e not a MAC, so no iPhoto software, etc.). And without jail-breaking. Thanks!

GreenLightJerky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Glad Im not having a solo issue!
Hopefully it will be resolved.
Why does the iPhone not sync the photos like other files?

luigirocks69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Apple Support's Recommended Solution

I called Apple's support hotline for help on resolving this problem of not being able to delete photos from the PC after the upgrade to 2.2., and first, the guy didn't know what I was talking about, and then, was finally offered the solution of resetting the iphone. Great. I did that, and after a lot of hassle, and reorganizing all my iphone apps icons as the system jumbled them all up, I ended up with my iPHone as it was before, only now I was also missing some apps. I tried deleting the camera roll photos again, and sure enough, the same crash-dump occurred, so I was no better off than before my phone call to Apple. I see from some other postings elsewhere that the issue seems to be caused by PCs running XP and SP2 or something, and not working well with the upgrade to 2.2. Supposedly the problem doesn't occur when running VISTA -- anyone want to try and advise if that's true? So, basically, we may have to wait for another upgrade on iphone firmware before we get the functionality to delete photos from the camera roll. Ridiculous for such a high-tech piece of equipment not to be able to do this, never mind cut and paste and videos... I love my iPHone, but these flaws are pretty major considering how great the iPhone is otherwise. Ok, enough for today...

GreenLightJerky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I actually just upgraded to Vista and the issue is now gone.
I can successfully delete photos from my iphone through windows explorer with NO CRASH.
I am very pleased.

tonykara

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
When will this get fixed!!!???

This is BS. I'm now stuck with hundreds of photos on my iphone with no easy way to delete them. What a bunch of crap. Don't they test for this basic functionality????

tonykara

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
I figured out a workaround in Windows XP

After plugging in the iphone, it shows up as a device in My Computer.
Right click on it and choose Properties.
Choose the Events tab
In Actions, choose the last radio button "Save all pictures to this folder" and pick a folder. The important part is checking the last checkbox: "Delete pictures from camera after saving them"
Choose 'OK' and unplug your iphone.
Now plug it back in and voila!!

It actually transfers the pictures and deletes them off the phone when it's done!! Woo hoo!!!

rambeaux

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Nope

I had high hopes...

It went through the motions, created the folder, looked like it was deleting stuff, but it rebooted, and voila! They're all still there... This blows. :mad:

tonykara

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
hmmmm

Sorry, it worked for me. I should have said "choose ok, wait for the transfer, then unplug your phone. It took several minutes for the transfer to occur after pressing OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.