After 2-3 years of problems, Time Capsule gave up the ghost

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by avatars, Apr 9, 2010.

1. avatars macrumors newbie

My Time Capsule is dead, and it was from the first generation of them. My question is whether the combo base station and back-up is worth it. The base station part of it worked fine, but I had monthly problems with the automated back-ups, and 2-4 times a year would have to format the back-up and start fresh. I am not sure I see the need for automated back-up of data, and would be fine manually doing it once a month. Any tips on what options/devices I should consider? Thanks.

2. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Time Capsule

My Time Capsule died also and to be honest it was crap the whole time so I didn't cry much. I use a USB Hard Drive for backups faster and reliable. I also have a netdisk which I had before the time capsule for network storage and it still works and is reliable slower than crap but it has always worked better than the Time Capsule.

http://reviews.cnet.com/external-hard-drives/ximeta-netdisk-portable-500gb/4505-3190_7-32017036.html

This is the brand of netdisk that I have but mine is significantly smaller.

3. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

If you're comfortable doing just monthly backups (I wouldn't recommend it, what if your machine dies just days before your next backup?) then you could just get an external drive and do backups with Super Duper! or Carbon Copy Cloner or even Time Machine. I love my dual-band Time Capsule, though I swapped out the drive for a cooler Western Digital Caviar Green drive in hopes that the cooler running drive would help out. It seems to run noticeably cooler than before when it had a higher performance drive. I strongly recommend frequent backups so I wouldn't go with the monthly option. The best thing to do probably, would be to get an AEBS and an external drive and roll your own. Then you get good, frequent backups.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

2-3 years of problems? Your TC really travels in time, because it was released 25 months ago ;)

BTW, mine died after 24 months of flawless work. I have lost my faith in the TC, so I bought an Airport Extreme

5. avatars thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, all of the problems made it seem like 3 years :D

I bought mine the month they were released, and like you and others, just bought an airport extreme to replace the TC. It seems that many people only got 18-25 months of life from their TC, which is way too short, especially for the price. Even if I did not have so many problems, I would not get another... Too bad, as I like the TC concept.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

mine was perfect: not a single issue.
    It simply died too soon for a backup unit, so I don't trust it anymore.