After 3 repairs (going to be 4th) can you get a replacement? any experiences?

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
im taking my macbook in for the 4th repair which really sucks, its a 2011 15".

can i request a replacement instead after all this?

basically my anti glare screen keeps getting LCD burn in on the sides.

looks like this kinda:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/6907975213/

not as bad but i wouldnt be surprised if it worsened.

any thoughts and if apples does replace an entire computer and if anyone has experiences?

thanks folks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can ask for replacement but there is no hard and fast rule about three repairs automatically generating a replacement. It's really up to the discretion of the manager at that location.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I got my replacement by kicking up a fuss about why they took so long to decide if I should get a replacement. Got my replacement 1 hour after I sent an email to Tim Cook.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
would they let you upgade and pay difference?
No, because that means they have to switch out the logic board (processor upgrade I assume) and they don't just have a few of each LB in the store for customers to buy.

If you mean computer upgrade...

Last edited:

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
whihc retina did you go for?

how much was the difference?

would they do education pricing?

Thanks bro
I did a CTO Retina MacBook.

Though come to think of it, I don't think you will be able to upgrade to rMBP. The offer was given to me under very special circumstances.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I did a CTO Retina MacBook.

Though come to think of it, I don't think you will be able to upgrade to rMBP. The offer was given to me under very special circumstances.
a CTO retina? like you took ur old one and you ordered one online?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I haven't gotten a replacement of my 2009 MBP, but I am getting free repairs outside of AppleCare because I brought it in so many times. It helps if you get a genius who knows their stuff and isn't just trying to sell you a new machine.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
In Norway 3 repairs, for the same problem, then if you would have needed a fourth repair they have to give you a new one :p
Norwegian law. Although when I worked with customers as a teen, I got to understand that people was missinformed and thought it was @ the third repair for any problem. :p

But that problem is probably by the lid or bezel having unnoticeable flaws that make them not stick together as intended. And you have probably not gotten them switched, properly :(

skolvikes

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
It's called a CRU or Customer Replacement/Repair Unit. After 3 repairs and still have issues, the CRU is usually just done by the manager or Genius Admin.

raymondso

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Hong Kong
I had my Macbook replaced after repairing it for the fourth times. I think this can be done in Apple Store but not authorized service providers.