Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Got my Series 0 Apple Watch in July 2015 and loved it. I pretty much stopped wearing it mid 2017.

Seemed as though the battery had gotten so bad it was unusable. I then determined that a certain app was one of the main culprits in draining the battery. App in Air which is a great app when traveling by Air.

So I just lost interest in wearing it the rest 2017 and most of 2018.
Had no interest in the Series 1,2,3 or 4.
So after getting the XS Max I decided to give my Series 0 another go.

Ironically my watch had been on the charger for months without any adverse effects and it was always synced to my 7 Plus which I had before the Max.

After setting up the Max the watch was synced to it and I found the battery life was terrible. 4 hours and it was almost drained. 50% drain in 2 hours.

So I did a erase and reset of the watch and didn’t install a bunch of apps just kept the basics. Messages, Calendar, Weather, Mail etc and my Series 0 got new life with 20-22 hours of battery life. In 2015 I was getting about 24 hours with a bunch of apps I did really use.

So I’m back to wearing it as watch and getting messages emails and certain notifications like taking medications.

Maybe I’ll get a Series 5 whenever that comes out but right now my Series 0 is good for what it can do. I even feel better about getting a Sport loop band it.

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Your battery issue I had a few times too. It seems like that there are an app installed which caused the problem.
Now my 2015 S0 has 72% batterie left ans it is 7:35pm and I had a 1 hour workout today too.
So battery is not the Problem for me.

Interesting with a new watch would be:
- bigger screen
- new watchfaces
- better siri speed
- better homekit speed

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
If you even upgraded to the Series 3 you’d be blown away. Only reason I’d suggest it is for software updates as the Series 0 is now incompatible/obsolete.

Nonetheless glad you have found new life with it!

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
If you even upgraded to the Series 3 you’d be blown away. Only reason I’d suggest it is for software updates as the Series 0 is now incompatible/obsolete.

Nonetheless glad you have found new life with it!

I’m sure the 3 and 4 are great but I can hold off. If it gets to a point where I can’t pair it due software updates I’ll let it go. Even now a give back to Apple is for recycle.

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Problem now is that the S0 SS worth ~130€ from its original price of 750€.
I dont think it will still go much down further.
And if, I would keep it and hope in 30 years it worth much more :)

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I wonder the value of a Series 0 Apple Watch Edition. That’s pretty much EOL also. They were $10 to 17K

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder the value of a Series 0 Apple Watch Edition. That’s pretty much EOL also. They were $10 to 17K

There actually was an article on this, that there net value was somewhere only worth a couple thousand. I tried researching the article, MacRumors posted it a while back, and I couldn’t find it. But basically, it’s not nearly worth what the price tag was when they first launched. Mainly because it’s a piece of dated tech house in the gold casing, which really doesn’t hold much value.

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
I still have a series 0 42mm Watch in SS. I’ve had 3 replacements so my new one is only 2 months old, and the battery is pretty good.

Shame about it not getting Watch OS 5, but it’s slow enough on 4.3.2, so it’s probarbly better.
Although I wish apple pulled an iOS 12 move on it and attempted to speed it up.

Looking out for a cheap series 3 42mm in SS, a credible shop nearby is selling a brand new 38mm cellular series 3 for £379, with a 2 year warranty, but I really want another 42mm. Tempted though...

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I still have a series 0 42mm Watch in SS. I’ve had 3 replacements so my new one is only 2 months old, and the battery is pretty good.

Shame about it not getting Watch OS 5, but it’s slow enough on 4.3.2, so it’s probarbly better.
Although I wish apple pulled an iOS 12 move on it and attempted to speed it up.

Looking out for a cheap series 3 42mm in SS, a credible shop nearby is selling a brand new 38mm cellular series 3 for £379, with a 2 year warranty, but I really want another 42mm. Tempted though...

Was thinking about the same. Used Series 3 SS in Germany is 370-390€.
But for 450€ you get the new series 4 aluminum ...
But I really want SS.
The bigger screen and new watchfaces of the 4 I like very much.
So at the moment I think I will wait 2-4 Month for a used Series 4 SS for maybe 550€.

Reactions: Fusionskies

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Was thinking about the same. Used Series 3 SS in Germany is 370-390€.
But for 450€ you get the new series 4 aluminum ...
But I really want SS.
The bigger screen and new watchfaces of the 4 I like very much.
So at the moment I think I will wait 2-4 Month for a used Series 4 SS for maybe 550€.

I agree.

Problem is once you go stainless, you get used to the benefits.
It looks and feels nicer, has a nice quality Jewellery like weight to it, and just over-all feels way more premium.

I’ve seen loads of scratched up aluminium models and they look awful, but never a scuffed up stainless one, and because you don’t need to change watches as frequently as a phone, it’s nice to have that durability.

sporez

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Nashville
I could easily still be using my Series 0. It was useless for any apps, but for strictly notifications it worked well enough. Battery always got me through the day. But the series 4 is an amazing upgrade and with the larger screen and insane processing over the series 0 totally worth it for me. I sold my Series 0 for ~$80 which helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.